What could bewrong withmy baby?

My son is 9 months old. He is breastfed with some solids, almost always finger foods (usually fruits and vegetables, but he has had chicken, yogurt and wheat products). He's been spitting up more often and in larger amounts than usual lately. For the last two nights he hasn't been able to sleep. He tosses and turns and cries. He sleeps fine for naps and for the first stretch at night, but after that seems to be in pain. He will also refuse to nurse, and I can hear him trying to spit up and swallowing it.

He doesn't have a fever, during the day he is his usual sweet self.

I don't know what to do for him. My diet hasn't changed recently, I have no idea what's going on. He already has 6 teeth and never acted this way with any of them, so I don't think it's teething.

I want to help him feel better, I just have no idea how :(

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 7:46 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be many things. Congestion ( sinus ), teething, or new foods... Google it!
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 7:58 AM on May. 10, 2011

• not really sure, perhaps some of the solids are not agreeing with him. could be adjusting to solids.could check with Dr
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 7:59 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Did he have a recent cold? My children are all like that with ear infections, and never get fevers. Ear/sinus problems really only bother them at night unless they are terrible, but do affect their eating, because swallowing goes past the swollen tubes leading to their ears, and often sore throats too.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:11 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Teething could be the problem - the added saliva production can cause him to throw up if he is not spitting it out. Is he drooling a lot but swallowing it? Giving him a washcloth to suck on may help, and an amber necklace does WONDERS for teething pain.
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 8:11 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Mild ear infection.... when a child lays down with an ear infection is when it really starts to bother them. Otherwise it coulid be any number of other things such as the solids not doing well with him, something needing to change with nap time (how many does he take?), etc.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:14 AM on May. 10, 2011

• He takes two naps a day, one at about 9:00 AM (sometimes earlier or later, depending on what time he got up in the morning) and one at about 2:00 PM, unless we are babysitting, in which case he takes a third nap between the two because he gets woken up lol. He has had a runny nose, but nothing that really bothered him much. He still nursed and slept just fine with it, and no one else got sick, so I don't think it was a cold, maybe allergies.

I'm going to call the doctor today and also limit his intake of solids. He has been eating a lot more solid food lately, especially at dinnertime, so maybe that's the problem. I have always been a believer in baby-led solids, but apparently letting a baby gorge themselves on peas or squash an hour before bed could cause problems lol.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 8:42 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Seasonal allergies or maybe a growth spurt?? My son always became grouchy out of the blue during a growth spurt, he also ate a little less during that time too. If it's allergies then just bathe him quick, especially his hair if your outside for a while during the day. That will remove the pollen. GL.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:54 AM on May. 10, 2011