Would/Could you just up and move?

On the 29th of April for what ever reason I decided I know longer felt like I wanted to be where we are know. I told DH, I want us to pack up and just leave. I just feel the pull to move away from here. Here he has a great job, pay is good, we don't have anything to worry about. But if you move things would be different of course, pay probably not as good! I keep telling him when we first started out we had nothing but we still made it, we got through, there is no reason we couldn't do it all over again. I just have this strong pull, need, feeling to leave, I don't know why but I do. DH is not sure because of the job issue, he has good friends, and frankly he doesn't like the idea of starting at a new job with people he don't know. He would have to prove himself to them, where as here he is good in is job. Maybe I am just being self fish and should just let this go. Your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• What issue in your life is causing you to want to uproot and move? Has to be something hefty to want to leave stability in an econmy like this one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I have up and moved more than once. However I would find it irresponsible to move with kids and a good paying job just because. The only reasons we moved was to follow the jobs, or once because I divorced and moved back home where my parents were. Other than that I think stability is the most important thing, not to mention looks much better on any resume.

Answer by gemgem at 8:18 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I would not uproot my family and possibly cause them hardship (especially if your dh isn't able to find a job in this economy!) due to a "feeling". I would work on it, make a plan, apply for jobs in whatever area you want to move to, research the schools, etc. With a family, I don't think you have the freedom to just do whatever you want, you have to put their needs on a par with your own.

Answer by missanc at 8:19 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I agree with all your comments here! We are making a trip to the area to look around and see things are availble(jobs, school,etc).
    The thought just came to me all of a sudden, we were having a family get together and the incidents there I guess just lead me to this decision.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:24 AM on May. 10, 2011

• If it were me I would find a compromise.... I would ask hubs to move BUT we would move somewhere that is within range for him to commute to his current job. I would never ask my hubs to give up a good paying job and move, especially if he does not have another job waiting for him or he does not want to leave his current job.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:32 AM on May. 10, 2011

• So I guess it is selfish! His job here is not something we can move closer to, because he works in a bunch of different cities, so he could be an hour away 1 week and then a week later turn around and be 4hrs away. Thanks Ladies, I really don't have any one to talk to around about this and you have help me think this throuhg a little more.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:35 AM on May. 10, 2011

• We up and moved last August 5 hours away from family and friends. We did it because we were having trouble finding jobs after maternity leave. I am sure if we tried a little harder, I could have found a job there, but I wanted to move. So...you guessed it, we are moving back next month. I can't say I wish we hadn't done it, but it wasn't the most well thought out plan. We are really homesick, have had financial troubles here to and put my teenager though multiple schools and that's something I regret. Thankfully, I have a very supportive DF and my DS is a great kid. We also have a 1 y/o DD who won't remember so I'm glad we are going back. I already have a job lined up and since I'm the primary breadwinner, we should be ok. My advice--don't do anything hastily. Make sure you do lots of research. The pay for my job here is a lot less than where we came from and it's much more expensive. We never thought about that.
    sneakyboo

Answer by sneakyboo at 10:49 AM on May. 10, 2011

• YOU CANT MAKE CHOICES WITHOUT THINKING THEM THROUGH ITS NOT ONLY YOUR DECISION NE MORE
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 12:30 PM on May. 10, 2011

• In the early stages I agree It is a lot easier to take off.  You need to really plan this out on all level such as area, jobs, cost and so much more.  I just help DH to leave a horrible job as far as commute , hours and environment.  Yesterday was his two month on the new job, he is working hard to keep it, that part is going really well, they love his work,  Would you believe he ended one job and started the new one in the same week. This is still ongoing.  Unemployment here is 12 percent.  He has to want it and it needs to be better than what he has now.

sweet11-12

Answer by sweet11-12 at 1:14 PM on May. 10, 2011

• If it weren't for the financial aspect, yes, lately I could just up & move - and I know DH could too. We both would like to but can't, only because of money.
    Anonymous