Would you use dried or canned lentils in this recipe?

1 large yellow onion, diced small
1 T olive oil
1 T minced garlic
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. sweet paprika
(I buy both smoked and sweet paprika from Penzeys or The Spice House)
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. Vege-Sal (or use 1/2 tsp. salt)
fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 cup red lentils
2 cans chickpeas, rinsed
5 C chicken or vegetable stock (or use 3 cans chicken or vegetable broth)
2 cans petite dice tomatoes with juice (14.5 oz. can)
sour cream or plain yogurt for serving, optional

Heat olive oil in frying pan and saute the diced onion until it's soft and starting to brown lightly, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, smoked paprika, sweet paprika, dried thyme, Vege-Sal, and black pepper and saute 2-3 minutes more, or until spices are fragrant.

Add onion-spice mixture to CrockPot, then rinse out the frying pan with 1 cup of the stock and add to crockpot along with red lentils, rinsed chickpeas, and rest of stock. Cook on high for 2-3 hours, or until lentils are starting to soften and dissolve into the soup. (I cooked mine for 2 1/2 hours. Cooking time will depend partly on how old the lentils are.)

When lentils are starting to soften, add the 2 cans of diced tomatoes with juice. Cook for 1-2 hours more on high, or until the lentils and chickpeas are both quite soft. Then remove about 1/2 the soup to a bowl (or the large 8-cup measuring cup I had worked perfectly.) Puree the soup you removed using an immersion blender, food processor, or blender. (If you're using a food processor or blender, be very careful with the hot soup, pureeing in batches if necessary.)

Stir the pureed soup back into the soup in the CrockPot; taste and add more salt or fresh ground black pepper if desired. Let soup cook about 15 minutes more, then serve hot, with sour cream of plain yogurt if desired

americansugar80

Asked by americansugar80 at 8:23 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I would use dried and lentils do not need soaked nut they do need rinsed and sorted to get the debris out. little levaes nad waht not that didn't make it out before bagging.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:43 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I would use dried lentils, I doubt you can find canned red lentils. However, I have never added dried peas/beans to anything in my crockpot. You could always do this on the stove too, just keep it turned down low. You might need more liquid if you decide to do it on the stove instead of crock pot.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 8:26 AM on May. 10, 2011

• ok do they require soaking time?
    americansugar80

Comment by americansugar80 (original poster) at 8:31 AM on May. 10, 2011

• wow it is early and I can't type...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:44 AM on May. 10, 2011

• LOL thanks but mommie. even though it was a bit of a mess, i understood it haha
    americansugar80

Comment by americansugar80 (original poster) at 8:48 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I do soak mine over night.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 9:08 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Lentils are sooooo easy and they don't need soaking. I don't even know if I've ever seen canned lentils.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 9:39 AM on May. 10, 2011

• The recipe calls for dried lentils

Answer by rkoloms at 11:06 PM on May. 10, 2011