Teens suspended from school?

Have any of your kids ever been suspended from school? What did they do and how did you handle it?

MommaKath1975

Asked by MommaKath1975 at 8:44 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes, my oldest has been suspended 2 x, (OSS- out of school suspension) mostly due to his mouth, attitude and for fighting with another kid. Evidently the school 'could not' do an ISS (in school suspension) because my little darlin angel told them "I won't go in there and do ISS" So they let the kid call the shots and 'rewarded' him by sending him home and giving him OSS! Ummm how is being sent home a punishment???? I told the school I was NOT happy about it, and in the future he should have ISS and THEY should have to deal with it and not 'reward' him!!!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:25 AM on May. 10, 2011

• my kids have never been suspended although if they were I am not sure how I would handle it. It would have to depend on what they did and what the situation was surrounding the suspension.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:24 AM on May. 10, 2011

• What do you do when a child had been suspended from school??
    If you work, YOU take a day off from work and stay at home with your child. Turn off all game systems, tvs, and computers. And make them work. The punishment should be from YOU also - especially if they are NOT special needs and are being punished for being mouthy, bullying, or fighting. They should have to scrub the bathrooms, clean their bedroom, scour the kitchen, if you own a home- do yard work - etc.
    Anonymous

• My now 19 yr old was all the time, however, he was Bipolar and the principal was new and made it clear he did not want any children with any disorders either mental or physical in his school. My son was suspended for wearing a hoody for instance. I took him out because I felt like he was being singled out and homeschooled him.

Answer by gemgem at 8:47 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Yes, because of his mouth on the bus.
    shesmokesalot

Answer by shesmokesalot at 9:10 AM on May. 10, 2011

• If YOUR child is misbehaving at school, YOU should be disciplining him at home and frankly wanting the school to take care of it is the reason your child is acting inappropriately in the first place. Being at home should not be a reward. My kids have never been in so much as a detention (and believe you me if they were there would be hell to pay at home and they KNOW IT), but if they were the unpleasantness that they would experience at home would make going to school a treat.
    mjande4

Answer by mjande4 at 9:45 AM on May. 10, 2011

• My son was suspended more than once...He has Asperger's syndrome Autism and there were times this caused him to act aggressively or to have a meltdown because he was overstimulated.....When we first moved here, the school system wouln't accept that he was not just a behavior problem and wouln't work with me to make sure he had places he could go to calm down when he was overstimulated.....It's taken a lot of work, but the last few years have been pretty good with the school system finally working with me/us......
    When he did get suspended, it depended on what the situation was as to whether there would be punishment - no video games for example - or whether it would just be a day off.....
    shimmifairy

Answer by shimmifairy at 11:36 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Nope, and hopefully wont.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:58 AM on May. 11, 2011

• My father is a teacher and I agree with anon...they dont suspend kids for no reason (generally). If your kid is getting suspended it is because they are doing something wrong. As the parent you should be upset with them (not the school) and try to solve whatever behavior issue they are having. At the school they also always have to deal with these dumb parents that come in cussing and yelling about thier child's side of the story. Then they feel like an idiot when the teacher tells them what actually happened. Dont believe everything your teen says....get the school's side of the story as well.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 8:30 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Well none of my kids have yet. But I raised hell in school and got suspended. It was no punishment to me to not have to go to school. My folks put the crackdown on me and if I got suspended I also got grounded, and had to go to work with my dad and sit in the cafeteria all day which was boring as hell and worse than going to school. I think the parent's response depends on the particular situation, but if my kids were acting out at school to the point of getting suspended, I would at least make sure that the suspension was not a vacation, probably work them hard at scrubbing toilets, etc at home, and probably assign additional consqquences as well if the behavior was really out of line enough to warrant a suspension.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:19 AM on May. 10, 2011