Has anyone ever tranined for a marathon?

I want to run/jog a 5K. Has anyone trained for a 5K before? How did you get started?

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 8:53 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I have never fully trained although when I was working out all the time this is what I did. There was a 5k option on the treadmill so I started with just walking it. Every day I would increase my speed a little or I would interval train, which is doing 1 minute fast and then slowing down for a few minutes. Once I felt I could handle it I would run as much as I could until finally I was running the whole thing.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:22 AM on May. 10, 2011

• A marathon is 26.2 miles. I just trained and ran my 1st one at the end of April. It was 4 months of training and lots and lots of running - I'd been running just over a year before I took the leap to 26.2. A 5k is a great place to start, then 10k's half marathons before running a marathon.
    Check out Couch 2 5k OR Jeff Galloway's Run/walk/run program - I started on the Galloway program with 4 min run 1 min walk and built up from there. C25k is a great program too - good luck!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:23 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I am training for my first half-marathon (August 21). I ran my first 5K in February, and my first 10K this past weekend. I still walk about 1/4 of my distance, but I managed to run the last mile of my 10K, and had a negative split!
    I did something similar to C25K (but I was way behind where C25K starts, so I needed to build up even more)- I started running a block, waking a block, then run two, walk one, and built up from there until I was able to run the whole distance (about 1.75 miles). Then I started adding distance. My normal runs now are about 4 miles. I'm not fast yet, but I'm getting there. I'm still carrying over 200 lbs, but the running has helped me lose about 45 lbs so far (part of the 60+ I've lost in the last year).
    Feel free to PM me if you like! Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:13 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Just start jogging. I slowly worked into it. I'd jog a block, walk a block. But do what feels right. As time goes on you'll find that you can go longer and faster. Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:52 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I trained last year through Team Continuum.

I work for the marketing company that is doing some work for them. They are an organization that is trying to make things easier for cancer patients.

They provide immediate and vital, non-medical, assistance to cancer patients and their families where the diagnosis results in disruption, hardship and uncertainty in their everyday lives.

In order to raise funds and maximize the number of patients Team Continuum helps; they offer charity spots in various athletic races. Each year a number of athletes run the ING NYC Marathon for Team Continuum. Last year I was able to train up as they were offering classes for those interested in joining them for the 2010 race. Spots are available now for the 2011 race, click the link below for entry:

http://www.teamcontinuum.net
    LovelyLadyLola

Answer by LovelyLadyLola at 5:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2011