What do you think of people that give away food they get from WIC?

I'm in an e-mail argument with this chick in our local freecycle group. This is her ad:

Hi everyone the cereal was promised this morning but but I have not
heard from her yet so if no response i will go down the line thank you
to everyone who responds. (THIS IS THE PART THAT PISSES ME OFF) -->More then likly I will have more later, I get it from wic and my daughter does not like it.

She has tried to tell me that she doesn't get it anymore and that she was a single mom, but got married or whatever... but by the sound of her ad, does that add up? I think not.

Of course it's not a bad thing that she's trying to help out another person in need, but it also seems to me like she's working the system. Your thoughts???

Nunyabiznes

Asked by Nunyabiznes at 12:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• That IS working the system. That's very illegal...and makes people like *ME* that get food stamps look horrible.

My mom has criticized me more than once because I won't buy HER food with MY food stamps. I've showed her how illegal it is and how I can go to jail and be fined if I'm caught buying milk or anything else for her...but she doesn't seem to care. Ugh. I don't like people that abuse the system >:(
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• One more thing... I've seen an ad on the same freecycle group of a lady giving away 11 cans of formula... she said that she bought them all and stocked up, yeah right. Just ticks me off.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 12:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Oh and plus, the lady said that she makes enough money and doesn't care what the wic people have so say about it. Sure smells fishy to me. I mean seriously... am I getting pissed here for nothing? what are your thoughts?
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 12:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Well if they are GIVING it away I see no problem with it other than her saying she really doesn't need it because they have money. I would report her if you know who she is. It's people like that who piss me off when folks out there really need it and can't because their income is over by one damn dollar.
    Anonymous

• I agree with caitxrawks. She is the perfect example of abusing the system. She should be fined/ denied additional support and give her alottment and assistance to someone who really needs it and will benefit from it.
    It's time to start holding the abusers *accountable* So the Good in need of assistance can receive it without abuse.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I resent it...even if she is giving it away....because I (and every other taxpayer out there) am paying for it!
    Anonymous

• Wic gives coupons for free cereal? I thought it was only milk, cheese, peanutbutter, and formula?? And why is she giving it away, does her child not want it?? I wonder if you can't get a reward for giving a tip to the health dept of government assistance fraud.
    Anonymous

• I totally agree with you! I know a bunch of females who have done that. I personally had WIC for my daughter when she was born 7 years ago. I didnt use some of the stuff so I would take it to the local WIC office so they could give it to someone in an emergency. Or I just didnt use the check. I also have heard of many women in my area who wean their babies off formula very early and start selling the WIC formula to inner city corner stores. Thats ridiculous!
    Justice828

Answer by Justice828 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I get 10 gallons of milk and 4 dozen eggs a month between me (for my pregnancy now) and my daughter. If i get to the end and can not use it all i will give it to a family that can't afford it. I pay taxes for this program whether or not i'm using it so i might as well use it for the good. The only other thing that i can get but choose not too is the tomato juice but i've considered taking it anyways to donate to a food bank. Nobody in my family will drink it so thats why we havn't taken it but the news keeps saying this is the 1st year that the food bank has been in extreme need. What's wrong with helping somebody in need? I don't feel that i take advantage of the system because we pay taxes for it to be used.
    Anonymous

• It makes me very angry. If you don't need your WIC anymore, don't get it. I don't see the point?? You are just wasting the governments money. I myself am on WIC and it really helps my family out right now, but if we didn't need it we wouldn't have it. It really makes me sick.

I also personally knew of a girl in my husbands hometown that used to sell her baby's WIC formula for drug money, and then her baby wouldn't have enough formula and she would go begging her mother for formula for her baby girl. (Her mother knew she had a drug problem and would never give her money, but if it was formula she would buy cans for the baby.) NOTHING makes me more angry than that.
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 12:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2008