How do I alter a pattern for this?

To fit below the breast, I wear a Medium but to fit the breast, I wear an XL.

How do I alter a pattern for a shirt/dress? Do I start with XL and taper?
Ideas?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 9:41 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Darts or princess seaming.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:42 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Usually, it's recommended that you start by fitting the largest area, and alter the rest. BUT, if your bust is a lot larger than everything else, you may have to also alter the sleeves and even the back of your dress for a really good fit. (I know...I'm busty myself.)

Some patterns come with a range of sizes included. If a shirtdress pattern you like is available in the 'flex-size' , get that.

If you can't find a suitable pattern in Flex-sizes, what I would do for a simple path to a good fit (if you're not in a hurry) is wait for JoAnn's to have the pattern you want on sale for 99cents. (This is pretty much quarterly - get on their mailing list, if you aren't already.) Buy 2 of the same pattern, one to fit your bust, and one to fit the rest of your body. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:27 PM on May. 10, 2011