Can you guess how this will come out?

Randomly picked my ass.......

RICHMOND, Va. – Two appointees of President Barack Obama have been selected for the three-judge federal appeals court panel reviewing his health care overhaul in Virginia.

Judges Andre Davis and James Wynn were randomly selected for the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel.

The third judge also is a Democratic appointee. Judge Diana Motz was named to the court by former President Bill Clinton. Their names were posted on the court's website Tuesday morning.

The panel in Richmond will hear two cases involving the legislation Tuesday. In one, the federal government is appealing a ruling striking down the law's requirement that individuals buy health insurance or pay a penalty. In the other case, Liberty University is appealing another judge's ruling upholding the law.

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 9:43 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Mere formalities. Just a short stop on the way to the SCOTUS.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:45 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Lol, random, lol. Randomly picked from these three chosen people maybe.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 9:47 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Was that for the case brought by the commonwealth of VA or the case brought by Liberty University? Both are starting today in Richmond about the same thing. Or are they being heard by the same panel?
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:48 AM on May. 10, 2011

• and the conservative Florida judge..?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:58 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I'm surprised... Aren't you surprised? I had NO idea he would rig the vote!!! Completely caught off guard...
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 9:59 AM on May. 10, 2011

• The desperate Obama measures are surley to be on the increase over the next 18 months.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:20 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Oh boy! Don't you just love a fixed race? Which "horse" should we bet on?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:28 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Or are they being heard by the same panel? Both by the same 3 judge panel
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 10:41 AM on May. 10, 2011

• To be fair, out of the 14 justices, half were democratic appointments and 4 of those 7 are appointed by Obama.

The odds are 7:14x6:13x5:12 that you would end up with an all democrat appointed panel (so 210:2184, or about 1 in 10). That's not conspiracy level odd. That two of three would be democrat appointed would be 42:182, or almost 1 in 4).

I know what I'm hoping the outcome to be, and I know this is just a stop on the way to the SC, but I still *hope* that the justices, no matter who their appointer, will judge on the law and not to make law. I also believe that, until fairly recently, all appointments were not so politically driven - at least one justice was appointed to one federal court by GHW Bush, and then to THIS court by Clinton.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 11:47 AM on May. 10, 2011

• No way Steph, it has to be completely random! We all know this administration is completely transparent and honest and would never try to stack the deck in its favor.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 3:32 PM on May. 10, 2011