Need some ideas for summer activites for my 13 year old daughter

I need some ideas on something I can get her involved in this summer. My son is gone all day at football practice and shes home alone. I need something to get her out of the house and off the computer all day. Shes had interest in music and acting, writing, more of the creative things. Shes not athletic at all, but could use some physical activity as well. Thanks for any ideas!!!

nandbsmom

Asked by nandbsmom at 9:51 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• When I was in junior high, a friend and I volunteered in the activity center at the local mental hospital. We worked with patients doing art and music therapy. If there is anything like that near you, or perhaps a center for disadvantaged kids, it may be a way to put her talents to good use!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:38 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Look for dance studios, cheer companies, look into getting her a summer job babysitting, swim team things, girls club, and things like that.

Answer by gemgem at 9:55 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Have you checked with your local Parks and Rec department? Ours has classes for teens all summer in things like drama, art, etc. and they're relatively low cost as well. For physical activity could you suggest to her some things you and she could do together? Riding bikes, going for walks after supper, etc. I've found doing things with my daughter is a great way to get her to open up.

Answer by missanc at 10:03 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Volunteering, babysitting or being a mother's helper. Look into summer programs for junior camp counselors. Try the YMCA, they have a junior camp program. What about a reading club or group at the library?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:42 AM on May. 10, 2011

• A lot of local Civic Theaters have summer camps for teens. Dance classes, singing lessons
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:26 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Volunteering at the library and working with the little kids at vacation bible school were the first things that popped into my mind.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:43 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Habitat for Humanity has many volunteer opportunities for all age groups. Check it out online. Get together with other Moms and swap days at each other's houses, or ask if someone needs a sitter. Our town has a day camp which is great for working parents, but my kids didn't much care for how unstructured it was and how they spent a lot of time in the hot sun. The rec dept also has things like messy play camp, knitting, yoga, guitar, crafts...probably enough to fill up at least a few weeks of time. I feel your pain and plan to lock the computer often this summer and limit the Wii to rainy days.
    dflygirl7

Answer by dflygirl7 at 2:05 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Our city has several classes that are offered in the summer like computer classes(LOL), writing, art, theater and science. Volunteering in the community can be a great for the teen and the community.
    bether89

Answer by bether89 at 11:37 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Looks like some great suggestions! GL, I hope you find something she enjoys.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:57 AM on May. 11, 2011

• You should do something that would bond you guys. And you should get out of the house a little too. Try a walking or biking routine together. Join some kind of writer's workshop or creative writing class. Just google it and you should be able to find one near you. As for music, lessons would be good, but if you cant afford lessons learning at home would be ok as well. She also sounds like the kind of girl who would be interested in dance classes. They are physical activity but also a little creative.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 8:26 AM on May. 11, 2011