When people complain about troops being overseas and keep insisting "bring them home"

Do they realize that the process of bringing them home takes years, and if it's done before an area is totally secure, makes the station even MORE dangerous for the troops left behind after the first groups leave than it was before anyone left?

Some of the worst casualties of VietNam happened during the 2 year draw down between 73 and 75. Why are people in such a rush to throw all those lives away again?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:54 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Because they have no understanding or experience in the way it works? I come from a military family and I choose to support our troops because of that. I know it would be nice and so pie in the sky thinking to believe we can bring every troop home, having warm apple pie with them, and no wars would ever be going on, but that is NOT reality. There is a reason why people sign up and they understand and know that they have a duty to serve the country, and you know what? Most of them actually WANT to and dont mind staying if it means keeping their brothers and sisters safe, and their country safe.
    Like I said. I think people who have this oh bring them home mind set just dont have the experience in life or with the military to fully understand the consequence of that thinking.

Answer by gemgem at 9:57 AM on May. 10, 2011

• This is one of your more ignorant of attacks...Who is wishing them harm? wanting them HOME and SAFE is wishing them harm? ~ Sweet

That wasn't an attack. That was stating a truth that you either won't see, or can't see. What you 'want' has no bearing on reality ~ it is only what you 'want'. Your consistent refusal to admit, even to yourself in the dark hours of the night, that what you want (and wish for) means danger and death for others is a want/wish/complete disregard for how many soldiers may die or be harmed so that your 'want' becomes reality.

we DID have a HUGE draw down in IRAQ.....you didnt know?? Maybe you should ASK someone that knows... ~ Sweet

Because someone states this doesn't turn it into an attack. Maybe you should try hearing what they are saying and getting your info from a source other than the media. The people who 'know' keep trying to tell you, but you refuse to listen ... or learn!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:57 AM on May. 10, 2011

• You did..sweet that is your brand ..'LIAR!' lol we all expect to see it at least one dozen times a day.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:49 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Yes....I don't think people that say that (me included) think they can hop on John Travolta's plane and come home to cheering crowds tonight...

But the PROCESS needs to START now...

There is nothing we are gaining from staying there

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:57 AM on May. 10, 2011

• People think of the here and now, not the consequences. And I hate to say this, but if we some how pulled all the troops back in this magical short amount of time that people seem to think can happen... what happens when our troops get back? Will there be jobs for our military men and woman?
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:21 AM on May. 10, 2011

• They don't understand even if they say they do. Just look at the first answer to the question. She understands...but start bringing them home NOW. No she doesn't understand. JJB understands though and so do I...we will never "bring them home" in the sense that people want them home. The world is just too unstable.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:22 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Maybe you should have read the entire article Sweet, instead of just the part that was quoted. Aside from that, you chose an article detailing the logistical issues of breaking down/dismantling/selling off excess equipment instead of one that details the logistical issues of troop movements. Again, you refuse to listen to people who DO know so you can focus on what you 'want' rather than what 'is'.

No one is required to cater to your pseudo=reality just so that you 'feel good' OR so you can lie to yourself about what big meanie heads we all are.

You want the troops home. Everyone gets that. They also get that you don't care if a few more than necessary die in that undertaking just so it happens on your time schedule. The fact that you refuse to see/admit that doesn't make it any less true.

Try reading at least one article about troop drawdown.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:13 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Noone is dumb enough to think these wars will have a fantasy or hollywood ending. No need to patronize. We went in with no plan I don't see us withdrawing gracefully. That is part of the issue. "Think it through,get it right." "measure twice cut once" No one has any idea what they're doing. Not then not now but hopefully with enough pressure they will focus and come up with something imaginative and solid enough to start the idea of bringing them home.
    CHarlan

Answer by CHarlan at 11:32 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Definition of Internet Troll- Someone who posts off-topic messages in an online community..... The OP clearly asked for a comparison of CURRENT engagements vs HISTORICAL engagements. Now, the TROLL (I think we all know who it is) has chosen to make full force attemtps to nudge the question in her direction with compating CURRENT engagements to CURRENT engagements.... When that is NOT the purpose of the question....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:04 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Also I do know from my hubby being in the military for 20 years that they do start by groups, some can come home right away.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:10 AM on May. 10, 2011