What is the stupidest "advice" you've ever gotten on how to raise your child?

so many lol...

Some lady told me my son was cold and to put a hat on him and wrap him up. It was 98 degrees and in the middle of JUNE!

Then some lady that owned a daycare told me to put my 2 week old son down because I was"spoiling" him.....

slapping forehead

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 10:09 AM on May. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• "If you keep breastfeeding him, he's going to be overweight."

"You should just let him scream, the only reason he cries is because you hold him too much" (regarding my 9 month old son who had rotovirus and was crapping blood)

"Kids can't be allergic to food dyes or the wouldn't be in food! You should let them have fun!"

"7:30 is way too early for them to go to bed, they'll be up before 7! You should let them stay up until they go to sleep on their own." (Um, I like my sanity AND they have to be ON the bus @ 6:30 in the morning!)

"You need to beat his ass!" (woman in the grocery store who SLAPPED her INFANT not 30 seconds earlier, when my son cried because he fell down on his already skinned knee)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:57 AM on May. 10, 2011

• dont medicate and punish them when they act up...yeah that works on an Autistic kid (not).... experience it first then tell me again
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:15 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I never care for the advice which I feel would equal bad parenting, like when people tell you not to hold your baby "too much." Frankly, I don't think there is such a thing as holding a baby "too much."

The very strangest thing I ever heard was when my oldest daughter was learning to navigate stairs. We were in public and every time she took a step down I said "Good girl!!! You're doing a great job!" Some woman stopped and said "You shouldn't tell her "good girl" too much because you don't want to force her to gender-identify too soon."
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:13 AM on May. 10, 2011

• My EX MIL told me when I had my first child that I shouldn't hold him too much or I would spoil him. I just held him more,lol... You can't spoil a newborn...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:13 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Wow where to start, I just find it amazing when the people who dish this crazy "advice" kids' actually turn out ok lol
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 10:20 AM on May. 10, 2011

• DS was 2 months old and cried everytime I put him down. I was told to "just let him cry, he was training me".
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 10:24 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Spank, spank, spank... for everything and anything. NOT!! Does NOT work.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:26 AM on May. 10, 2011

• My mil told me that I should give my 1st born water..... instead of all that formula I had been feeding him. WTF???? I told her point blank that newborns do NOT need water, in fact it can be harmful (per an article I read in Parents magazine). I also told her that if he was fussing and hungry he would get his formula as THAT had all the things he needed-- where water was an 'empty' filler! Needless to say that shut her up (for the moment anyway).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:34 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Oh God too many to name....
    Well when my son was 1 he learned how to make himself burp. We thought it was cute because we never met a one yr old that can do that. My cousin was like you shouldn't encourage him. Than when he gets in school you going to have a problem.....uh no I wont he's only 1...and now he's 2 and doesnt even remember how to do it anymore
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 10:42 AM on May. 10, 2011

• My SIL told me not to give my kids anything cold to drink because it can give them sore throats. Then when my DD had pneumonia, she told me not to give her anything to drink because it would make things worse. (Mind you dd was getting dehydrated.) Ummmm, what?
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:17 AM on May. 10, 2011