What would you do?

i just found out that everything my sil got me for my baby shower was stolen. it wasnt just an outfit or 2.... there was probably close to $400 worth of clothes and stuff in there. Of course everything was name brand (she is too good to shop at walmart of target....so she thinks) childrens place, gymboree, carters, and i think there was even baby gap! Would you accept a gift from her anymore? Honestly would it be wrong of me to either tell her not to gift my kids or me anything or tell her i want a reciept with it? I cant stand stealing...... and yes she has been caught more than once.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• How did you find out? And that is awful, me personally I would tell her I did not want anything else from her as a gift, but that's me I don't do well with stealer's and liars.
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 10:33 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Oh my!! I think I would be tempted to return the stuff back to the appropriate stores, with explanation. My conscience would not allow me to keep anything that I know was stolen. Yeah, ask for receipts, or no gifts, period. I can't believe she is still doing this after being caught. She keeps it up, she will be caught again.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 10:33 AM on May. 10, 2011

• she has already been to jail and everything. This all came out maybe 2 months ago and my shower was last year! so everything has been used and most has been given away. i would have returned to the stores but i didnt know until recently.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:38 AM on May. 10, 2011

• well i wouldnt want any gift from her any more and see if she will feel guilty and do something about her problem
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 10:39 AM on May. 10, 2011

• this is tough.... if you return the items then more than likely they WILL come after SIL for theft. (not that you care) but would the other family back you. It will be like YOU are turning her in and she NEEDS to stop but she may end up back in jail for a while and blame YOU. Of course dont go against your morals by keeping the items but I would talk it over with hubby or someone you trust in the family see what they say.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 10:40 AM on May. 10, 2011

• THERE IS NOTHING WORSE THAN A THIEF AND A LIAR
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 12:52 PM on May. 10, 2011

• It sounds like your sil has a condition, not just a problem. Cleptomania is an illness and a kind of addiction. I think you should be supportive of her. Look online for treatment options. Educate yourself. If you can get the rest of the family behind you, stage an intervention. Rejecting her gifts won't help her, but if it makes you feel better; don't. I would graciously accept (so I wasn't accusing her) and then donate the items.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 2:03 PM on May. 10, 2011