Not Eating Enough ?

Okay everyone. I have an almost 19 month old son. He is in the 17% for his weight, but the doctor says he is perfectly healthy. I am still a little worried, but I guess thats normal for a first time mom.

Here is DS's eating habits daily :

He eats about 3/4 a cup of oatmeal with mixed fruit in it every morning.
He gets a 10 oz sippy of almond milk after that.
He eats lunch ( usually 2 veggie options and a meat ) he picks at it and normally doesnt eat more than 2 baby handfuls of anything.
He gets another 10 oz sippy after that (almond milk)
then about 3hrs later he gets a 5oz sippy (almond milk or juice and water )
Then its dinner time (2 veggies and a meat )...he refuses to eat anything ! Except when I spoon feed him his yogurt. Then he is done.
He gets one last sippy 10 oz of almond milk before bed.

He rarely eats snacks in between meals...if he does its about an hour or so before dinner.
He also hates meat and has become very picky.

What can I do ? The pedi said to keep offering the food and eventually he will be hungry enough to eat it, but he is already low weight...he cant really afford to miss a meal....any advise would be helpful !

Thanks,
M

Wish2Be

Asked by Wish2Be at 10:41 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Almond milk is WAY heathier than fat ladden cows milk, do not listen to those who are telling you to swtich, they obviously are not knowlegable in whast a healthy fat. "needs milk fat" oh man I wish the dairy industry wasnt so good at brainwashing people.
    He does however, probably not need as much as he is getting. I would go with 2 cups, plus another calcium source, is all he needs. Try finding other healthy fats for him, and I also noticed he isnt eatting alot of grains, those are important. Make sure they are whole grains(brown bread, whole wheat pasta)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 4:08 PM on May. 10, 2011

• It looks to me like you're giving him too much almond milk and he's therefore not hungry because of that. Try giving him fewer caloric liquids.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:44 AM on May. 10, 2011

• He is getting too much almond milk. He is getting his calories from the milk instead of food. He should be getting 8 oz of milk, 4 oz of juice and the rest water, for the day. Limit the milk and offer more of a variety of foods. Also, a portion for a child is age is just a few tablespoons of food. As long as he is growing steadily and healthy, he is fine.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:48 AM on May. 10, 2011

• It is normal for kids to go through eating strikes, my kids do it all the time. Is he possibly teething and/or having his 2 yr molars come in?
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 5:17 PM on May. 10, 2011

• This sounds like what my little ones are eating. They have all went through a stage like that. My 3 and 4 year olds still dont eat very much. As long as hes growing and getting bigger, and the ped is not worried then you should be happy with what he eats. I agree with the ped.. keep introducing the foods. Hell eat if he is hungry.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 8:01 PM on May. 10, 2011

• What is his % for height?

My middle daughter was less than 20% for both, so she was perfect proportioned.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:45 AM on May. 10, 2011

• The Almond milk has very low calories and carbs. Its why we selected it. He doesnt like water, so we need to keep him hydrated. He goes outside maybe 2 hours a day and its in the 90's hence the large amounts of fluids.
    Wish2Be

Comment by Wish2Be (original poster) at 10:59 AM on May. 10, 2011

• He is in the 99 percent for his hight. He is 35 inches tall and 23 lbs.
    Wish2Be

Comment by Wish2Be (original poster) at 11:00 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Well, I was told from 12 months to 24 months to give whole milk, that way they get enough fat. The Almond milk may be low in calories, but if that's all he's drinking, then he's not getting ENOUGH calories. As the other ladies said, limit him on the amount of milk he's drinking so he'll eat more actual food.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:27 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Unless he has a dairy allergy, it's preferable that children under 2 drink whole milk. They need the extra calories and milk fat. With the Almond milk being so low in fat and calories, that could be a huge part of the problem. Give him cheese too. Feeding him healthy like you do is very important, but you need to find the right balance to keep his weight where it should be and dairy products are a good way to be healthy yet keeping the weight on. Like for lunch, give him a veggie, cheese cubes, and grapes (cut up). Or a yogurt instead of cheese cubes. You really are feeding him wonderfully healthy, but the diet you have him on probably needs to wait until he's 4 or so.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:42 PM on May. 10, 2011