What is her problem?

We have been dating for 21 months. We were high school sweethearts 16 years ago. Unfortunately, we split up then, and both marrried later on. Both of our marriages did not work out and we reconnected. It has been wonderful!!! My kids absolutely adore him(he never had kids). But his sister(who is 31) won't even look at me. Avoids all cookouts, get togethers, etc... She is still single and no kids. Hangs around with her mom and dad every free moment. My SO says just let it be, but come on, get over it. If she happens to be around when we are there, they ask her a question and her response is "I'm not listening" in a snotty tone because I am there! I don't know what to do about it. She won't even wave.(we live next door to each other)

My3RaysofSun

Asked by My3RaysofSun at 12:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Relationships

• Have you told her directly "I want to be your friend, I love your brother, and want to get to know you"?

If yes, and she's still snotty, let it go and be civil.

Sounds mental to me.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 12:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Are you sure that deep down somewhere something might have happened that she's held on to all these years? Sounds like she was younger then and may have had attachment to you. Did she feel the breakup too and can't forgive you for it? Or perhaps she's still attached to SO's ex? There are tons of reasons...but you can't resolve them if you don't know WHY.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 12:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• If she doesn't like you so what. I wouldn't even let it bother you, she is the one who needs to grow up. Just go on with your family functions and what not and if she talk to you then fine.
    Anonymous

• I have tried everything. She shuts the door in my face.
    My3RaysofSun

Answer by My3RaysofSun at 12:39 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Then let her be the baby she is acting. You can't change her.
    Anonymous

• I would directly speak to your boyfriends parents - I would say that you are so thankful to be in their son's life and I would ask them for help with her.

Because if she's mental, they know it and they will understand her being that way. If she's not mental, then maybe they can spread some light on the situation.

Reality - you live next door to this woman, You love her brother. You need to be the bigger person here and crack that nutjob.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 12:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• tell he to go to Adam and Eve and call it a day lol

Anonymous

• I would NOT go to the parents! You are just asking for more problems by doing so. If you two can't work it out the so be it, but don't bring in other family members into the mess.

Anonymous

• I dont get it. What does she have against you...did you have a falling out...does she even know you?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• OP--his sister(who is 31) won't even look at me. Avoids all cookouts, get togethers, etc... She is still single and no kids. Hangs around with her mom and dad every free moment.

THIS would be the problem! Jealousy is a wicked thing, and your SO's sister is a green-eyed soul! Best thing to do? JUST. BE. HAPPY..it pisses the green eyed monster off more than anything, and it's a "win-win" for you! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2008