My son has really bad eczema! Help!

My son has been suffering since birth. I have tried everything. Since he started going to school, hes been getting infections, and he scratches till they bleed and then he can't walk. I have been to allergy specialists, doctors, and nothing works. Anyone know about ANYTHING that might help? I hate seeing my son suffer. He is five.

ILoveAsherAthan

Asked by ILoveAsherAthan at 10:49 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Kids' Health

• We use aveno eczema cream and hydrocortisone cream. Baths only every 3 days, unless he needs one, and we lather him in lotion after baths. Its z lot of constant upkeep, lotion morning and night, and aveno/hydro on his affected areas. We tried everything and this is what has worked for us. Also, have you looked into emu oil? We use during the summer, when it's worse. Works wonders!!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:30 AM on May. 10, 2011

• what about seeing a herbalist? its worth a shot at this point.
    My son has slight eczema which was triggered by an allergic reaction to antibiotics and I use a mixture of tea tree oil and olive oil and it seemed to help ! good luck poor little guy :(
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:11 AM on May. 10, 2011

• bump:)
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 2:57 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My daughter also had eczema bad when she was younger. We tried a lot of different lotions, prescription creams and everything! I was finally advised to change our laundry detergent along with lotion. I was referred to a wellness company named Melalueca. They have cut out all the harsh chemical in theirs products. I now use their Ecosence products and their Renew Skin Therepy and she has not had a break out since!
    research their company and you can learn how their products are better, safer and healthier!

http://livetotalwellness.com/work4mom
    Kats86

Answer by Kats86 at 6:40 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Aquaphor works amazing for Eczema. Be careful of the prescription creams because it is steroids.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:51 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I tried that. And it worked for a little bit, but as he got older, it stopped working.
    ILoveAsherAthan

Comment by ILoveAsherAthan (original poster) at 10:54 AM on May. 10, 2011

• thanks... youre absolutely right, it is worth a shot!!
    ILoveAsherAthan

Comment by ILoveAsherAthan (original poster) at 11:20 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I battled this for 10 years with my daughter and finally rid her of it; here's what works:

Stay away from Rx creams like Elidel (known to cause cancer). Stay away from most OTC products, even those meant to treat eczema (they contain ingredients known to exacerbate the condition ... petrochemicals, parabens, SLSs, phthalates, etc.). Aquafor and Vaseline are probably the 2 worst things you could use EVER! Switch out soaps, shampoos, sunscreen, etc. for chemical-free versions. Topically, use 100% jojoba oil, coconut oil, borage oil, evening primrose oil, or shea butter to control itch.

Eczema is inflammation and needs to be treated from the inside. Avoid dairy; it is a HUGE culprit. Take probiotics. Omegas are great; make sure your child gets some. Coconut oil, borage oil, and evening primrose oil can be ingested for their numerous health benefits, especially for the skin. They have anti-inflammatory properties.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on May. 10, 2011

• you can try Cetaphil lotions and soaps
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 12:21 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My girlfriend is going through this with her daughter....well has been since birth, she's 5 now. She found that she needs to give her less baths, like every other day. And she swears that the Avon Skin So Soft body wash clears her skin up. She swears by it to the point where she buys 10 bottles of it at a time. So it's something else that's worth a shot for you.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:37 PM on May. 10, 2011