Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should i stay or go now!!

so I just graduated as a dental assistant last week.. and I am now trying to find a job in a dental office here in Oklahoma.. My grandmother who pretty much raised me is in Louisiana. She has been diagnosed with cancer and has been "told she has six months to live". I just recieved a good amount of money and want to make a trip down there to visit. My husband on the other hand wants me to wait until memorial day weekend so that he is off work and drive down instead of asking for time off. They are training him at work to take on a new position and he feels it just isnt the best time.. I feel that I dont have time to wait.. I also dont want to make a twelve hour drive and pay the gas prices just to stay for two days and drive back. he wants to leave on a friday after work and be back in time for work on monday.. refusing to ask for even a day off of work.. Should I go without him or should I wait until we can all go?

Also... If i wait i may be working in a new office..

~~~~~~~~~she was diagnosed 10 weeks ago. with pancreatic cancer.. it started as a tumor or a mass that surrounding her liver.. they later discovered that it was pancreatic.. and at first she was too sick for chemo.. but she started being able to eat and hold down foods.. The doctors decided that she was ready and started chemo two weeks ago. she is staying at home now and family members are staying with her around the clock.. and she is juggling two different types of pain meds.. morophine and delauter.. and as far as i know she is going to chemo treatment three times a week.. she is also diabetic i forget which type.. and the last time i saw her was in march of 2009...

my husband also doesnt know any of my family in louisiana...


If i go tonight i could get there in the am and stay until sunday.. and drive back...

Answer Question
 
MissMandaz

Asked by MissMandaz at 10:49 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Relationships

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • I say that if its that important for you to be with your grandmother, then go. Maybe you can make another trip with your husband another time?
    xo0kcg0ox

    Answer by xo0kcg0ox at 10:54 AM on May. 10, 2011

  • I'd go!!!! YOU need to spend time with grand while she is still here... once they do the morphine drip its usually not too long after that.
    Hubby can either suck it up and understand staying behind to work this new position or he can go with you... but that you are not driving 12 hrs just to turn around and come back 48 hrs later. HE can if he wants, but you have the time and need to be there for yourself as well as grands. He needs to think about your feelings and not his. ( sorry to hear bout your grand, its hard. My papa passed away with this also.)
    kkbird

    Answer by kkbird at 11:14 AM on May. 10, 2011

  • If you honestly do not believe your grandmother will make it the extra 2 1/2 weeks then go. BUT I think it's awesome that your DH wants to go with you. If I were you I'd wait the 2 1/2 weeks and go with him. But that's just me.
    miss_lisa

    Answer by miss_lisa at 11:15 AM on May. 10, 2011

  • I'd go now and not let another moment get past you if your husband can't understand that he should think how he would feel if her were in that situation ( which i hope never happens) go now and if he wants to make another trip then go again but don't wait i hope everything with your family goes ok you are in my families prayers
    krissii

    Answer by krissii at 7:44 PM on May. 10, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN