Is it any wonder that many women don't report being raped? adult content

http://abcnews.go.com/US/pictures-accused-rapists-camera-clear-woman-false-rape/story?id=13382917

A Washington State woman who police charged with filing a false rape report has been vindicated by chilling photos of her ordeal found on an accused serial rapist's camera, law-enforcement officials say.

Detectives testified this week that when they raided O'Leary's home in Lakewood, a Denver suburb, they took a memory card from his camera that showed more than a hundred photos of his sex-assault victims. They identified one of the photos as being of a woman in Lynnwood, Wash., who was 18 when she reported a rape in 2008.

Cops didn't believe her story, and she had to pay a $500 fine for making a false charge. O'Leary lived in nearby Mountlake Terrace, Wash., from 2006 to 2009, police say.

The case has now been reopened, and the Washington victim has had her court costs reimbursed and her record expunged. "She was in fact the victim of a rape," said Cmdr. Steve Rider of the Lynnwood Police Department. "We believe strongly there is a link and Marc O'Leary perpetrated the crime here."

SuperChicken

Asked by SuperChicken at 10:58 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Someone we knew reported a date rape and they said she was probably scared she had sex with him and her parents were mad so she made it up and later he did it to another girl before he got in trouble and she said she no longer wondered why women did not report it. After a couple years she was glad she had but she was still bitter.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:42 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Women are frequently not believed. It's disgusting. Some estimates say only 1 in 8 rapes is reported, and 1 in 4 women are sexually assaulted sometime in their life. I feel lucky never to have been hurt like that, but I'm terrified for my daughter.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:03 AM on May. 10, 2011

• She didn't just have to pay a $500 fine, she also had to accept a plea deal and go to counseling.

That's awful. They'd better do whatever they can to put this to rights (not that it's possible) and I'll be pissed on her behalf if all she gets is her money returned.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:23 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Poor girl! Raped and then forced to pay a fine because those payed to "protect and serve" didn't believe her... I can only imagine the settlement this will bring... I just hope it's enough for the years of therapy she'll have to go through to be "normal" again. I can't get over the fact that they didn't believe her! What made them think she'd lie about that???
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 11:01 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I hope she sues their asses off!
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 3:22 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Wow. What jackasses (the cops).
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:00 AM on May. 10, 2011

• That is awful................just sad, and really breaks my heart that what she went through and then had to pay for telling the truth..........
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 11:01 AM on May. 10, 2011

• That is horrible

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:10 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Seriously??
    ILoveAsherAthan

Answer by ILoveAsherAthan at 11:03 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I would be getting the best lawyer around, what a bunch of jerks!
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 11:41 AM on May. 10, 2011