Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just found a small bird at my front door. It is shivering and one eye is swollen shut...

I folded down the edges of a small box, put two hand towels folded in half to fill the bottom and make it cozy. I also put some crumbled ritz crackers and a small bottle cap with water in there. But it is huddle against the corner because I think it's either very hurt or afraid, maybe both. But for now he is safe in my sewing room, where it is warm but not too warm, and has sun light.

So what else can I do for him?

He is in the lower left side of the photos.



Asked by SeasideNative at 11:02 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Pets

Level 18 (6,262 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • Birds are very difficult. Unfortunately if it isn't an endangered species the fish and wildlife won't be interested. Even if they act like they are and you bring it in, the second you drive a way *squish*. Birds are very delicate and I understand you're wanting to help it, but the poor thing probably is hurt too bad and just needs a quiet place to die on its own. When we were kids our next door neighbor was poisoning his birdbath and we ended up with a bunch of dying birds all over our yard. We tried to save them and cried all week over it, but nothing could be done. The neighbor got in really deep trouble when one of our other neighbor's ( a cop, no less) actually caught him doing it and turned him in. He was prosecuted, but didn't get much of anything for punishment. Try not to let your kids get attatched to him or name him. It will just make it harder when the inevitable happens :(

    Answer by alphamom26 at 12:35 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • Locate a wildlife rehabilitation service by calling the Fish and Wildlife service in your state. You can find the links to your home state at the site. There you can call the wildlife and game commission in your area and find out where to take the bird. Some areas have regular volunteers that are commissioned to take care of wildlife. Usually these are regular families and homes who are volunteering time to help. These volunteers are trained to take care of wildlife and will know what to do to rehabilitate and feed your rescued bird.


    Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:07 AM on May. 10, 2011

  • I did not use my flash because I did not want to freak him out.

    Comment by SeasideNative (original poster) at 11:04 AM on May. 10, 2011

  • Poor little birdie...........not sure but looks like you have done all you can unless you want a vet bill................How sweet, hope he starts feeling better

    Answer by buttonlts at 11:05 AM on May. 10, 2011

  • Call your local vets offices or emergency vet clinic and ask them. Many of them network with wildlife rescues and can put you in touch with someone who can care for the bird. You might also try the Department of Natural Resources or your county's animal control for guidance. There are usually small rescue groups around who are willing to help out w/ stuff like just have to be able to find them.

    Answer by vicesix at 11:08 AM on May. 10, 2011

  • Hydration is one of the most important things for a bird, especially if it is really young. Sorry, I can't see the bird.

    Look for wrinkles on its abdomen to try to determine if it is dehydrated and you can use a little dropper, wrap the bird in a towel to protect the wings.

    You should call your local animal control and ask for a wildlife haven or rehab center to take the bird.

    And wash your hands with hot soapy water, birds can carry a lot of disease, including the bird flu now.


    Answer by spottedpony at 11:11 AM on May. 10, 2011

  • Sometimes the best thing to do its to put them outside.. not where an animal can get them but maybe on your porch. I found a bird that was hurt and called the vet and they said put it outside and let it do it's thing. after a few hours the bird flew away.

    Answer by Finkette at 11:28 AM on May. 10, 2011

  • It sounds like maybe it flew into your home or maybe a branch. Leaving it to rest in a dark, quiet place with water available is about all you can do. Your best bet is to call a rehabber (as mentioned). They are experienced in handling injuries in ways that even vets aren't. Unlike the state wildlife people, a rehabber doesn't just 'dump' and/or euth common animals.

    If you locate one, offer a donation (towels, newspapers, or ask what they are short on this week). They don't get paid, do tons of work and pay all of their own expenses including feed bills, medicine, cages/housing, and vet bills. It's an expensive and sometimes heartbreaking way to spend one's time.

    Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:13 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • I tried calling a place and when I went to check on the bird it had passed. I was kind of excited because you don't to touch birds everyday. And this little fellow let me pick him up. I am kind of upset but I know that at least he was in a warm and safe placwe when he passed.

    Comment by SeasideNative (original poster) at 5:15 PM on May. 10, 2011