Who else is conscious of commercialization in our children?

What ways do you try to limit that in your family?

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 11:04 AM on May. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• We are. We limit television. We have no cable or dish. Nothing. Only limited DVD's. I try to stay away from movies where the product is the movie...like anything Disney where you buy the dolls, the cars, the action figures. Since no commercials it cuts down on the I want or I need syndrome. We go to live theater instead of movies generally. Plenty of out door play. Lots of creative toys. A private school that is focused on environment, community, and nature.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:17 PM on May. 10, 2011

• It's not something I worry about. I'm not even sure what that means. My kids watch TV all the time but I rarely hear them begging for stuff they see. Occasionally they mention they'd like to have something they saw on TV but it's rare and it's never whining or demanding. They know they don't get everything they want so it's not an issue. Every time we go to a store we go to the toy section and they NEVER throw fits for stuff. They might ask once or twice but it's usually in a joking fashion because they know they won't get it.
    The only time they really get new toys are birthdays and Christmas and we limit that to a couple of gifts.
    Heck, my youngest dd turned 5 last month and she got a movie (Tangled) and a trip to the zoo. That was it. 2 weeks later we let her pick out a DS game because my dad got her a 3DS (which has since been taken away because they didn't keep the games picked up).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:52 PM on May. 10, 2011