How did the beliefs of Republicans and Democrats change over time?

First opposition political party in the America was structured in 1792 as the Republican Party, its power held nationally between 1801 and 1825. It was the direct antecedent of the present Democratic Party. Thomas Jefferson establishes the Democratic Party in 1792 as a congressional caucus to fight for the Bill of Rights and against the elitist Federalist Party. The party which called “party of the common man" made government in 1798.

I read a response to a question that made me scratch my head and wonder what happened to those great ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know the entire history of the changes the parties went through, but I recall reading something about it a few months ago around MLK Day. It sounds like there were a lot of changes in the parties during the Civil Rights Movement. There may be more to it than that prior to that time AND what I read was a blog (so it may be biased in some ways--I don't know), but it does have some names and dates of occurrences that might help you look into the changes further and you could compare it to anything you read on the subject elsewhere if you want. Just thought I'd share it in case it was helpful to you.

History: Democrats & Republicans On Civil Rights & Equality
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:08 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Here is an example. "I,ll. Have every ni*!er voting democrat for the next 200 years". Lbj
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:07 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I have no idea if this is correct or not being as my family pretty much stayed out of politics. Anyway, when I was growing up, it seemed that the Dem's were for Big Business, although they've always, far as I know, also been pro-union. They also seemed to be more liberal in ideas with very little sense of anything being "right or wrong". The Repub's. seemed to be more for the average person, were more into "family values", and, lets say, a moral compass as far as right vs.wrong. These days those same Repubs would be considered VERY conservative. The Dem's still do support unions which protect the workers, although they seem to be even more liberal than before and the Repubs, now seem to be more for big business and the very wealthy than ever before. I really see very little difference between the main parties now, except for those that (cont)
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 1:12 PM on May. 10, 2011

• would be considered more or far more extreme in their view. Both parties are in the pockets of big business and special interest groups and both tend to give more credence to what affects those groups than they do to what affects the average person.
    meriana

• Carpy was just posting a lil gem of truth. LBJ was notoriously racist in private.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 4:01 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Not informative. My curiosity runs deeper than an alleged racist comment.
    Apparently noone else knows either. Thanks anyhoo
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:26 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Meriana, Interesting. I agree. I wonder at what point they switched and why. Thanks for the input.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:21 PM on May. 10, 2011

•  

Here is an example. "I,ll. Have every ni*!er voting democrat for the next 200 years". Lbj

WOW....classy for c & P'ing THAT lil gem

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:56 PM on May. 10, 2011

• As long as we are on the topic of political quotes, here is one for you ~

"If you wish the sympathy of broad masses then you must tell them the crudest and most stupid things." Adolf Hitler
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:40 PM on May. 10, 2011