Are some moms just oblivious to their child's health?

My neighbor told me this morning that her 5 year old son(turned 5 March 3rd) weighs 70 lbs. She said,"but he's healthy!" Ummm,no. According to the CDC charts,he's somewhere in the ballpark of 30 lbs overweight. 50th percentile is 40 lbs,97th is 57lbs. He weighs 7 more pounds than my 10 year old son!
The boy gets winded sprinting 10 feet across his yard and was tired after swinging for about 2 minutes in his backyard last week.
The thing that scares me the most is that in December,he weighed 65 lbs,so a 5 pound weight gain in 5 months.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 11:17 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Yes, some are. i have cousins on both side that outweighed your neighbors kid by 40lbs at the same age.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:21 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Are some moms just oblivious to their child's health?

Yes! They are either ignorant by choice or just plain uneducated about their children's health!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:22 AM on May. 10, 2011

• There is solid evidence that being overweight shortens lives and causes many diseases even in kids. Doctors are finding more diabetes and high cholesterol in young kids than in history. SO, allowing your kids to get fat is child neglect and just plain ignorant.
    It has nothing to do with "minding your own bsiness" it has to do with honestly caring about the health of small kids who are defenseless against their parents lack of knowledge. This has to be a concern of everone who cares .
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:36 AM on May. 10, 2011

• That's sad that she thinks he's healthy if he's winded after such a short run. It is possible to be overweight and healthy/in shape...but no 5 year old should ever be winded after a short run unless they have a true health issue. I feel bad for the poor kid. My DD is chunky, but only at about the 80th percentile, and can run all over for half an hour and not be winded.
    Anonymous

• WOW. 70 pounds on a 5 year old... that's just depressing. my oldest will be 5 in october and weighs 32 lbs. granted she is in the 3rd percentile for weight because her height is 41.5 inches, but even so that is a HUGE difference.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:20 AM on May. 10, 2011

• yes, some are & those moms are oblivious to their own health too....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:30 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Willful ignorance = Child abuse.

We ALL know the repercussions of being obese, or allowing your child to 'enjoy' the American diet... People are willing to throw their children's lives away because they're too damned lazy to be bothered.

SOMEONE has to care.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:40 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Maybe send her a link to a kids BMI chart...then she can figure out that he is indeed, obese= not healthy. Do you have kids the same age? Maybe you can have them all join a sport together,swim lessons, soccer etc . If your kids so these things already, mention it to her that way maybe she can get him involved and more active.Offer to take him swimming, invite him out for a bike ride, bring the mom along! That way she can see what other real healthy kids can do, and the comparison wont take her long to figure out that her ds needs to lose a bit+ of weight and be more active.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 12:40 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I'm so sick of hearing "Medical condition" as an excuse for obesity. Obesity IS a medical condition, which causes many, many others!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:47 PM on May. 10, 2011

• See, I'm on the other end of that. My 2 year-old weighs in at 20lbs and my 5 year-old is 38lbs. They eat like crazy but don't gain and everyone likes to make comments about how I don't feed them enough or I don't feed them the "right" things. I get sad when I see a child who needs to improve their diet but short of going out of my way to have group dinners that are healthy and inviting their family over and sharing the good (and tasty ) food there is nothing I can do. My BIL weighs 150lbs (more than me) at age 13, he is a heavy boy and very spoiled being MIL's only biological son, there is nothing I can do so I leave it.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:46 PM on May. 10, 2011