Do you believe in having a gun for protection?

I was always very much against guns. However, recently something has happened to make me fear for the safety of me and my children. Do you own a gun? Would you consider getting one?

SleepyCupcake

Asked by SleepyCupcake at 11:21 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• yes
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:21 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Personally no.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:23 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Yes and no, I don't want any guns in my house because I have 5 kids and I don't feel safe but then again, what would I do if someone broke in ? I am at a toss up about it, but I have thought about getting one and taking a class.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 11:23 AM on May. 10, 2011

• We have a handgun for protection and a rifle for hunting. They are stored very high up, unloaded with the safeties on. I feel safer knowing they're there, and I feel safe having them in the house because I know the kids can't get them. I was raised around guns, I honestly don't know why they are so hated.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:24 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I don't b/c they make me nervous, but my DH wants one. I figure that its all up to personal opinion. It doesn't bother me either way.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 11:24 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Yes we have 2 rifles and 1 hand gun. I can and do shoot with great accuracy. I prefer a rifle because they can be loaded with buck shot. So even if you don't have the best aim you most likely are not going to miss. I was always told if you are going to point a gun you had better shoot to kill. It's not like the movies where when the bad guy gets shot in leg he's down for the count. Most people who break into homes now days are some kind of drug and they will just keep coming at you.

Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 11:24 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Yes and if you decided to go that route please take some shooting lessons/home protection courses.  Make sure you know how to use it!

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:25 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Yes, we have a Mossberg 500 Persuader Shotgun, which I know how to use. We also have a 100+lb German Shepherd that does a great job scaring off strangers.. I'm home with our boys alone a lot because Hubby is gone a month at a time with his job so those two things are very important to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on May. 10, 2011

• PS the best thing to do is to try to get out of the house and call 911.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 11:25 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Yes. And children raised with gun safety their entire life are far safer than those who've been sheltered from them on the chance they run across one someday.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:26 AM on May. 10, 2011