How is her blood count low? how could she possibly get more iron??

my 9 month old had her 9 month check up yesterday. i couldn't go because i had work. when hubby picked me up from work he told me that everything was perfect but she's a little anemic and needs more iron. how though? her formula has iron and she has 3, 8 ounce bottles a day. she has 2 jars of baby food mixed with a half cup of multigrain cereal (full of iron) and she gets table food and those veggie puffs (loaded with iron) for snacks. she get's loads of iron. she's not tired. she's a huge ball of energy, she crawls all over the house climbs, stands, and plays for hours. she's in perfect health. perfect height, perfect weight, perfectly happy in fact i've never seen a happier baby. i just don't see the anemia, not how her diet could possibly get more iron. i wasn't there to tell the doctor that i have anemia but i really don't notice it. i'm never tired, i have tons of energy and work out a lot. i honestly don't feel anemic. maybe it's biologial? maybe we just have lower blood counts than normal people but it's normal for us?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try giving her something with vit C when she is eating the iron foods. Sometimes are body ahs trouble absorbing iron and vit C helps that.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 11:38 AM on May. 10, 2011

• We used the poly-vi-sol drops by enfamil
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:44 AM on May. 10, 2011

• they make nasty tasting Iron drops for infants... if thats the case... talk to the peds dr about it.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 11:39 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Well if you have it it's probably genetic. what did the doctor say to do?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:39 AM on May. 10, 2011

• i'll try that. she loves 100% simply orange juice. she'll chug a whole bottle in a couple min
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:40 AM on May. 10, 2011

• he said give her more iron but her diet is loaded with iron
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:41 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Yes, my dd was 9 months old when we were told her iron was low. They gave us some iron drops that we just put into her bottles. She is now 20 months and doesn't need the drops any more.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:42 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I agree with Liamsmom09, her body may not be absorbing it like it should. Giving her something with Vitamin C to eat with her food will help the body absorb the iron better. You can also give her infant vitamin. I had the same problem with ds, his was so low he had to take prescription iron.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 11:42 AM on May. 10, 2011

• no no no no no NOT BREASTFEEDING. and she's on the wic formula, gentle plus
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:51 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Well since she is 9 months you can add iron enriched formula to her diet or if you are breast feeding start taking your prenatal vitamins again. Also if she is eating finger foods and baby food go ahead and make sure she is getting lots of dark green colors in there. Plus look in the baby isle on some products they will have iron on the front. Get those for her. Also I know that if they let the blood sit in the air too long before they test it the iron is depleted from the blood. That happened to my son they pricked and tested him again and his iron levels were normal.
    gibsongirl017

Answer by gibsongirl017 at 11:49 AM on May. 10, 2011