If you are adopted or know someone who is..please answer.

when you got married did you want to take your husbands family up as your own and become a part of them and quickly start your own family? did your feelings change at all about your adopted parents?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• My mom got remarried and her new husband adopted me when I was about 13 years old..
    I think it's the best thing anyone could do to take someone else's child under their own responsibility forever.
    Only mistake was I wanted to keep my last name so I am now left with a hyphenated last name, and it's such a pain in the butt!
    jewelia89

Answer by jewelia89 at 11:40 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Three of my male cousins married women with children from previous relationships and adopted them. Worked wonderfully.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on May. 10, 2011

• jewel, that is not answering my question at all
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:42 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Someone I know completely forgot all about the family that adopted her and clung to her husband's family. Needless to say, adoptive family was VERY hurt and upset by this, because they'd taken her in and cared for her for 9 years, and as soon as she could, she was gone.
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 11:42 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Feeling the need to fit in with his family is wonderful. Just b/c u were adopted, doesn't mean you are any different from others who had bio's in their life. Be yourself, don't change you to fit in. Having a family is a great deal of support.. babies bring families closer, just make sure you are true to YOU and not the "IDEA" of
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 11:43 AM on May. 10, 2011

• and why would your feelings change about your adopted parents???? They wanted you.... they LOVED YOU, they raised you. YOU CAN have love for both and have a wonderful extended family with all. Be good to your mom and dad too, dont leave them out .
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 11:47 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I am adopted and so is my son (final in Nov). I love my adoptive family and I never felt like less of a family member with them. Of course I did wonder about my bio family and I found them too. It was nice to know them but I knew where home was. :o) When I got married they became extended family. OH and yes I wanted children right away. I had 2 biologicals and one adoptive. (one newborn adoptived in late Nov) The circle just keeps growing.. Home is where the people you love are.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:49 AM on May. 10, 2011

• No my feelings about my adoptive family did not change. No, his family was just more family. I did want to start a family pretty quickley. Everyone's life is different with different experiences and those things that affect us most tend to be a factor in how we deal with families on both sides of the picture. Sometimes though, having children does make you appreciate and understand your parents a bit better.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 12:07 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I was adopted with my sister after spending a year in an orphanage. I was four. I still have a few memories of my mother and I've been to her grave many times throughout my life. I accepted my new family and I'm very grateful to my now mom and dad. The first time I got married his mom didn't accept me. This time his dad and younger brother live with us and we are a family. That doesn't make my adopted family any less my family. You can't have too many people love you. I hope that answers your question.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 12:34 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My older sister was adopted and loves our parents. We are all very close. She would never want to disconnect from our family because she was adopted.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 2:26 PM on May. 10, 2011