How do I get my 20 month son to sleep in his bed?

I am having a hard time getting my 20 month son to sleep in his bed. He had a crib and would go crazy when he saw so we bought him a toddler bed, he is so excited about it and will show anyone who came over it. When it is time to sleep he will run to my bed. I will get him and lay in his bed with him and turn on some music and night light. He will fall asleep sometimes. Around 11 he comes into my room and climbs in bed with his dad and I. I will put him back and he will sleep for a hour and come back in my bed. He does this every hour all night. I have tried to shut the door and let him cry but he cry's and makes himself get all sweaty and starts to like choke himself from crying so hard. Last night we learned he can now open the door and get out. He has never slept through the night. I have a four year old and slept through the night at 6 months and never have had problems with him sleeping in his own bed. Please help me!

EZamora

Asked by EZamora at 11:42 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You just have to keep putting him back in it every time he gets out of it. It may take hours and it may take days but he will eventually get there.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:44 AM on May. 10, 2011

• persistancy. Its about the only thing i found that worked.
    joshnzacksmomma

Answer by joshnzacksmomma at 11:46 AM on May. 10, 2011