How can I help get my 16 mos old daughter adjusted to the water, pools, etc this summer?

We have both my children enrolled in swim classes. My son is 3 daughter is 1. My son loves it and my daughter is not as comfortable and cries or whines and clutches me for dear life. I just want her to enjoy it. Any suggestions? Thank you!!

2coolmama

Asked by 2coolmama at 10:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It takes Patience!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• No advice. We got our youngest used to it by just getting in with her. Last summer she was about 15/16 months old. She screamed the first time I put her in the pool. Screamed and screamed but I refused to get out. I just kept talking to her and telling her to calm down and see how much fun everyone else was having and eventually she calmed down.

This summer she is 2 and we had to start all over. She was real clingy the first couple of times in but now she has this suit with an inner tube in it and just let go of me and started swimming around the pool all on her own.

Can't say the same for my 5yo who is deathly afraid of water and this technique doesn't work for her. She just screams bloody murder when she is in the water.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• my twin girls were 13 months when we really started taking them in the pool, Emma took to i right away but Elizabeth screamed a lot for a few weeks. Now they both do great, they love the pool and are starting to kick and everything after just 2 months. Just keep doing it, we are doing this ourselves me, my parents, and my sister so its all people the girls know. just keep taking her in the water, its okay just to hold here for a while get her to splash and have fun, then slowly work into swimming. get some swim wings ya know the blow up floats for their arms.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• you can try a baby boat, that worked for me, he didnt like being held the first time in but in the boat (as well as holding him tight( he started to enjoy it. just give it time, they will be unsure of any new thing at first, good luck
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• My daughter is the same age. We just keep introducing her to the water carefully and slowly. We have used a couple of different floaties and a life vest and have allowed her to decide when she is ready to go in the water. It has worked very well with her temperament. Just keep reassuring her, follow her lead and make sure she feels (and is, of course) safe. Swim lessons are a great way to build confidence, too. Good luck and have fun!
    mompsyd

Answer by mompsyd at 12:30 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• My 15 month old son is the exact same way. We took the kids to the waterpark the other day and I thought he was going to have a complete breakdown. My sister actually took him and played in the shallow water then moved into the deep water holding him the whole time. FINALLY after about 30 mins he was used to it and when we went back to the shallow kiddie play area, he played in the water. Just splashing and walking back and forth between me and my sister. It just takes patience and a lot of comforting. Just have to show her how much fun the water is.
    minivanmommy

Answer by minivanmommy at 12:56 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• My daughter is 14 months old and I started by showing her in the bath tub how much fun the water was. We splashed and she began to do it her self. So then I bought her her own pool and she loves it at first she didnt really know what to do with it so i had to put her hands in and let her splash. When i go to my moms we get in her pool and she would do the same thing...but after i showed her that it was just like the baby pool and bought her a lil floaty she loved it. I also bought her her own little "POOL BUDDY".
    nfloyd

Answer by nfloyd at 2:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2008