Does anyone suffer from migraine headaches? What is the best relief??

geminilove7

Asked by geminilove7 at 11:45 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Health

• I get them every month during my period. Now that I'm pregnant I get them every week or so because of that. It's a hormone thing for me, and I've never talked to a doctor who could help me. Nothing works for me but ibuprofen, a glass of ice coffee, and a dark, quiet place to sleep with something cold over my eyes. I have very bad vision and my eyes are a huge migraine trigger. If it is really sunny, I'm going to get one whether its my "time" or not. It sucks, especially now that even when I have them I have to get up and put in a full day of diaper changes and cooking and cleaning for my baby. I hope you find a good way to take care of them! Good luck :)
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 12:24 PM on May. 10, 2011

• the best relief is finding out what triggers them and adjusting your lifestyle to cut whatever that is out. in my case, it was the hormonal birth control pill i was taking. i threw them in the garbage and have never suffered a migraine since. google the list for triggers and talk to a doctor if possible. for temporary relief, all that helped me was sleep in a dark room.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:48 AM on May. 10, 2011

• Cool washcloth on your forehead in a cool dark room. Take note of what you eat when you have an attack. I know I can't eat anything that has red dye in it.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 11:50 AM on May. 10, 2011

• I get them WAY too much. I try to knock them out with ibuprophen and a coffee chaser. If that doesn't work, I have an emergency prescription of Fiorinol. I can't do the tryptans because they cause my chest to hurt, and narcotics actually worsen the pain.

I get mine every time there is a change in weather system (the day before it rains), around ovulation time, and when i get too stressed. I have to stay away from alcohol because that is a major trigger. i also cannot nap. If I do, I'll have a migraine for the rest of the day.

I hear that they get a lot better after menopause. That is one thing about aging that I am really looking forward to!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:57 AM on May. 10, 2011

• My husband, dd, and I all get them. My dh has them triggered by red wine, bread, nuts, and a lot of other things.
    My dd's are triggered mostly when she doesn't drink enough.
    Mine are triggered by stress.

Meds, a dark room, quiet room, and sleep.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 12:03 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Ginger, feverfew, water, hot pack on my feet and a cold pack on my head, and sleep.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 11:46 AM on May. 10, 2011

• red dye?? I did have red velvet ice cream. I never had it before but it is out of my system from Friday...
    geminilove7

Comment by geminilove7 (original poster) at 11:51 AM on May. 10, 2011

• i had a bad one sunday morning..my mom grabbed the preasure point between my thumb and index finger and squeezed it to where it hurt for about 2 mins. it did help the pain go away quite a bit. she said a doctor told her this. i didnt believe it would help but it did. Usually nothing helps me at all
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:02 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I am going to my eye doctor today. He prescribed pills for me years ago. It went away and never took them again. But it is like a 50 pound weight is on top of my head....
    geminilove7

Comment by geminilove7 (original poster) at 12:03 PM on May. 10, 2011