When is it okay to say "no?"

This is a really silly question but it has crossed my mind. I went to a parenting class yesterday and he was sitting there grabbing toys and pulling this other kid's hair until he cried. I felt horrible. Granted, he's only six months old, when is it appropriate to say no? I don't want to do something he's too young for or I'm debating on if he even understands what I'm talking about. Suggestions?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Now is good and it's not a silly q.
    Anonymous

• He's my first child so I ask the most random questions.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:49 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• It's good to ask but don't feel they are silly even though some folks will try to make you feel that way.
    Anonymous

• i agree with anon
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I started saying no when she was 4 mo and realized what she was doing--intentionally scratching or pinching--no works at this point
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I have a 6 month old too, and I haven't even thought about telling him no yet, I don't think they understand this early you should just remove them from the situation that is getting them into trouble. Like pulling another kids hair....I would've just took him or her away from the other child cuz it's not like your baby was really intentionally being mean! Your baby was probably just trying to get the hair to it's mouth since that is all they try to do with anything they get their hands on! I say when they start walking is a good time to start saying "no"......but everyone has their own opinion. No question is silly by the way!!
    littleguys_rule

Answer by littleguys_rule at 1:16 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My son is six months, he understands no, itsnot the word but your tone of vioce is what they hear.... mine is a little monster when put near other children.....he has to be out of arms reach of them..
    Good luck!! No can be a good thing
    Anonymous

• SAY NO NOW, HE NEEDS TO LEARN RULES AND RIGHT FROM WRONG. ITS NEVER TOO EARLY.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 2:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I am teaching my seven and a half month old "no" right now. When she grabs for something she cant have i'll just flick her hand and say no at the same time, not hard of course, but just enough so that she knows she cant do that. Six months might be a little young for that, and some people would definitely bash me for doing this, hence making myself anonymous!! But it works very well. We've gotten to the point to where 70% of the time all I have to do is say "no" and my daughter stops whatever she's doing and finds something else to do. I think it's important to let your baby know YOUR in charge right from the get go.
    Anonymous