How can I get my three year old to eat more food?

My son had autism. In addition to that he has allergies. He is allergic to wheat, peanuts and eggs. It is a struggle everyday to get him to eat fruit, vegatables, and at times meat. Please Help!

dre07_dream10

Asked by dre07_dream10 at 11:54 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son also has major food allergies (chicken, beef, milk, eggs, nuts, fish/shellfish, bananas, oats, rice, potatoes) and I swear he survived on soy milk alone for the first 2 years. I just kept trying 3 times a day every day. I set things in front of him. I finally wouldn't let him have a drink of his soy milk unless he took a bite. Once he'd tasted everything on the plate he could have his milk, even if he didn't eat another bite. Eventually we found a few foods that he liked enough to eat all of, or most of. When we found those foods we tried variations on those foods. We also found that he LOVES to dip things, so we always give him something to dip food in. Homemade salsa or ketchup, soy yogurt, hummus, etc. Now he eats like a champ, and as soon as he started eating he had this HUGE growth spurt and just got really tall and put on a little weight. It's so great to see him thriving!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:01 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Thanks sooo much!!! My son also loves soy milk so i'm going to start today and see how it goes. Again Thanks!
    dre07_dream10

Comment by dre07_dream10 (original poster) at 12:05 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My son DOESN'T have allergies and it's still hard. I think it has to do with being 3...LOL.

Have you tried presenting it to him differently? Cutting his food into different shapes? Making a picture out of them? Like Misses Nick said, my 3 year old LOVES to dip his food as well.

Good Luck!
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 12:07 PM on May. 10, 2011

• When I go grocery shopping I let my 3yo daughter pick out a new & different fruit. She'll grab coconuts, pineapples, starfruits, mangos, etc then we go home & she helps me prepare/cut it & we try it together. I also do this in the organic section I let her pick out one or two new things to try that is priced alright to try out. She enjoys the act of picking out her own items.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 12:07 PM on May. 10, 2011