What is "poor" to you?

So, I don't know maybe its just me, but it seems like a lot of us (people in general) have a very different view of the word poor. To me poor is not having cell phones, cable, highspeed internet, multiple computers, eating out often. But I know people who have all these things and complain about not being able to pay their bills or being waay over their credit limits! WTH?! So, anyway, what's poor to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Money & Work

• Poor to me would be not being able to pay my bills and worrying about if we would have enough money for the necessities (food, clothes, electricity, etc). Not having cable, internet, or anything like that doesn't mean poor to me.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 12:49 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I agree with you, also not having clothes,being on welfare, living in a place that is a pc of chit because that's al lthey can afford,just the essentials in life. You are NOT poor if you have a cell phone, cable and Internet!

Anonymous

• Well then I guess I'm poor. I do not have any of those this is my parents/neighbors computer. My husband just got layed off of his work a few weeks ago and even when he was working he was making crap for money. We can't pay our bills or buy food because the unemployment is backed up and it hasn't came in 3 weeks. Were sitting on empty right now.
    Anonymous

• I consider poor anything below the national poverty line. Which is about $15,000/year for a 2-3 person household...which is what I live in (I'm still pregnant). And, I hate to admit it, but right now we earn less than that. So I consider us poor. We don't have any debt, though, and we give up a lot of other things to afford internet, the internet is a grand luxury in our house.

*shrug* I dunno, that's my definition of poor. We're not struggling, but if you put a monetary value to it it would really seem like we are.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:51 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Poor to me is not being able to afford the necessities in life--food, clothing, utilites, rent, etc. We have foregone a lot of stuff that we would like to have in order to take care of more important items.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:52 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I have one tv and no cable, so I must be saving myself like $60 monthly in not paying a cable bill. I agree, how can someone be in the rears and call themselves poor when they have all those things?! People have really lost sight of necesseties.
    Anonymous

• We also have been having to bum off parents food wise. I hate it. I absolutely hate feeling like a bum but I guess part of being a parent is helping your kids. Also his mom just called and is trying to pay our electric bill and bank note because we don't have any money, at all. I told her no but she's going to do it anyway :(
    Anonymous

• People say they're poor, but fail to look around them and SEE what they have. All the crap and nice things in they're house. Buying junk food?! How is that poor? I get annoyed with this quote all over the news that these are tough economic times, well then tighten the belt quit buying junk if you don't want to stop I don't want to hear you complaining!
    Anonymous

• To me, poor is not having the necessities of life- food, shelter, clothing. Also health care, transportation to school or work, or not even having a job.
    We had no cell phone or cable for many years since we were saving for college, but we weren't poor.

Answer by Bmat at 12:55 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I'm not attacking poor people, I'm just irritated by people who say screw my financial responsibilities and then after they are in deep sh*t, they play the victim and look for hand outs!
    Anonymous