Just a question...

Ok. So I have this troop who works for me. His wife is pregnant. Supposedly her water broke yesterday and he had to leave work. Today he is at work. Said that she was only 3 cm dialated so they sent her home. Now I know when I went in and my water had broken I was barely dialated and they kept me. She is due in about a week. I thought once your water broke they kept you because of the chance of infection.

Does any of this sound fishy to you? I can't call the docs because they won't give me info about someone else.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 11:58 AM on May. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Very fishy. If your water breaks, you must have the baby within 24 hours or you can get an infection.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:02 PM on May. 10, 2011

• There usually is only a 24 hour allowance after the water has officially broken. After that, the risk of infection goes up. Could it be that she "thought" her water broke? or maybe has a small leak? Maybe he rushed home and took her to the hospital and the staff said, nope, wasn't the water, and sent her home. He may not undertsand and he also may not want to make his wife feel embarrassed by not knowing if it was the water or not.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:02 PM on May. 10, 2011

• i have heard that before .. its been known to happen

altho i had a friend her water broke and they went to the hospital and they kept her.. she had the baby 6 hours later..
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 12:00 PM on May. 10, 2011

• It isn't abnormal to be sent home after water broke, but uncommon. You can usually have 24 hours before they begin intervention.
    sneakyboo

Answer by sneakyboo at 12:09 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Maybe she thought it broke but she peed? is this their first baby? I don't know, it does sound fishy but he's there today so I wouldn't be too bothered by it
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:00 PM on May. 10, 2011

• He said that they said her water broke and they tested for amniotic fluid and it was positive.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 12:05 PM on May. 10, 2011

• It is entirely a woman's choice. She may have thought her water broke, or it might really have broken. If she isn't really far along in the labor, she could choose (against doctor's advice) to go home and be comfortable and unharrassed until it's closer to time. Also, though the risk for infection increases after 24 hours, that's really only a huge risk if you are introducing things (like hands) into the vagina after the water has broken.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:07 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Do you think he and his wife are just laid back about the whole thing. She could have said, 'I'll call you of my contractions get regular and I am heading for the hospital. Go to work."

Everyone is different. I have been known to get pretty stressed, but when my water borke at 40 weeks, I was scheduled to have coffee with a friend I hadn't seen in three years. Some kind of weird labor-calm came over me. I told her, "Let's go to Starbuck's. It just broke an hour ago, and I still have some time." I was serious. She said,"Ummmmm, I'm not really confortable with that. I think you need to have your husband take you to the hospital." i was definately not in my right mind. women get a little loopy.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:10 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I just want to say, don't be so skeptical. Let the guy be there for his wife, even for false alarms or whatever.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 12:15 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I wouldn't be questioning it at all if he didn't have integrity issues to begin with. He has been telling us forever that she was going to go into labor at any minute. Also she is supposedly high risk. Of course...he piles on more information as time goes on. I have no problem letting him go if she is in labor. But he wants to sit at home and wait with her until the baby is born.

I had just never heard of someone being dialated and having their water broke and then be sent home. Especially if they are considered high risk.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 2:27 PM on May. 10, 2011