How do you potty train a child with autism?

My son is three and will be turning four next month and he still isn't potty trained. I have been trying ever since he was three years old. Please Help!

dre07_dream10

Asked by dre07_dream10 at 12:07 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I feel your pain
    My moderately autistic son was not fully trained until he was 8
    We had to wait until he 'got" it and it was his idea to go. If your child can't interpret the peeing/pooing signals,he's not ready yet

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:11 PM on May. 10, 2011

• It will be very hard and probably won't happen for another year or so. I have a nephew (5) and still wasn't potty trained. It isn't from lack of trying. We took them to the bathroom with us all the time because they don't really "learn" how to go to the bathroom and understand it that way, they really mimic actions or words and that is what my nephew did. He may not have understood going to the potty but he liked to mimic us and that's how he learned. If you try that now he might pick it up sooner that we did, we didn't try that until he was 4 1/2. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• Thanks!! I have try to explain the peeing/pooing to him but he dosn't understand. Thank you for your post! I'm just going to be patient.
    dre07_dream10

Comment by dre07_dream10 (original poster) at 12:13 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Talk to your care providers. It's tough. My nephew is extremely bad, no speech at all. he is 8 and still not trained. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:14 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My sister had it easy. Her autistic daughter got potty trained at school by the therapists and was all set by the end of a month. She was three and is now 5 and completely non-vocal. She has a very easy personality, though, so I hope everything works out good for you...Good luck!
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 12:18 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My niece is 8 now with mild autism,smart girl, but with behavioral problems, anyway when she was 3, it was very tough for me to potty train her too. Eventually I took her in to see a therapist, and she helped me. My niece was potty trained 4 weeks after seeing the pediatric physical therapist.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 12:19 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Your best shot is to contact a therapist for assistance. They're trained to deal with this. It can be a bit overwhelming for parents of autism children.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 12:25 PM on May. 10, 2011

• it takes patience , and constant reminders as im sure you have found , my ASD son is 11 and still has some issues , #2 the most , its just not a issue thats of importance to a autistic- i been told this many times by profs. and believe it , never give up , there is not a answer for this , trust me i would know by now when my son is 11
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:26 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My ds was 5 (autism) before he was completely trained! I backed off on the egg timers, charts and reprimands! He started going on his own in six months later. Don't stress, it will come.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:59 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I trained my son with autism when he was 6. I did a visual chart with pictures showing the timer going off, then the potty, then his "reward" (we went through a couple, what finally worked were honey buns, fortunately our neighbor worked for a vending machine company and could get them for us for cheap!). He was later training, but once he got it he never again had an accident - he's 13.

Answer by missanc at 1:28 PM on May. 10, 2011