Is green tea supposed to taste like grass?

I drink a lot of tea (black) and I always buy the boxes of the cheap, generic kind. Tastes the same to me. I recently decided to switch to green tea so I bought a box of the cheap generic kind. It tastes like grass. I've had green tea before and it's usually alright. This generic stuff isn't unbearable but it does have a very...plant-like taste. Is green tea supposed to taste like this? Is it just cuz it's the cheap stuff? I guess I could flavor it with a little lemon but I usually always drink my tea plain, iced and hot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I always feel it tastes like Hay - put some honey it, it helps, then when you get more used to the taste you can take the honey away and its not so bad
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:24 PM on May. 10, 2011

• It depends on the variety of tea that is used. Some of the varieties that I've had smelled like Cheerios to me - kind of oaty. I often buy a jasmine green tea, which is a little more floral and light.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:46 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I only drink green tea now and never had it taste like grass or hay or anything bad. I also don't buy cheap tea. I don't buy real expensive stuff either.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:35 PM on May. 10, 2011