Douching....

how long after you have a baby (vaginal birth) is it safe to douche?? theres no more bleeding its been 4 weeks since i had the baby already, just want to feel "clean"......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Health

• It's never really safe to douche. Your body cleans itself and douching is totally unnecessary.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:26 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I can't remember where I heard this, but I heard once to "Think of your vagina as a self-cleaning oven." Douching is actually not really good for you. It disrupts the natural pH balance, and your body is designed to slough out and self-clean down there.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:27 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Talk to your doctor. Douching can cause all kinds of problems depending on the person. Some doctors will tell you it's okay as long as it's just water, and other doctors say NO NO NO NO.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 12:28 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I have to agree with all the other posts. I also heard the same thing. But I dont have an answer to your question, sorry.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 12:33 PM on May. 10, 2011

• never

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:36 PM on May. 10, 2011

• You don't. Not a good idea... unless you like yeast and vaginal infections.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:51 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Honestly I've heard the same things however, my girlfriend douches everyday for the past 25 years or so (just warm water). She NEVER gets an infection but it could just be her body. I used to get frequent infections and I didn't even douche or anything. Doc told me I was naturally inbalanced so I didn't see how it (douching) could affect me that much. Now I douche once after my cycle each month. As for your question go for it with warm water. I know what you mean by wanting that CLEAN feeling.
    KoolMom617

Answer by KoolMom617 at 1:14 PM on May. 10, 2011

• It's never safe to douche.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:53 PM on May. 10, 2011

• 6 weeks. I agree with some of the above. There is such thing as "over douching". If you have any kind of odor there get checked as it could be infection (yeast) or otherwise. If nothing is going on and you just want to feel fresh after that time of the month has past then absolutely do that. Douching is not unsafe if used practically. I've never gotten an infection from douching. Or unbalanced for that matter. Once a month or every other month is fine. If you feel uncomfortable ask your doctor when and how often you can use it. Wait 2 more weeks or until your next office visit before you do though.
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 10:13 PM on May. 10, 2011