Did you introduce Peanut Butter at the age of 1 or did you wait?

My son is a year old and the doctor gave me the green light. I know I didn't introduce it to my daughter until she was 2. We have no nut allergies in the family.

Just curious what others have done. I haven't given it to him yet...

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 12:23 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I waited until she was 2 because her dad has an odd allergy to the red skins on the nuts. When she did get it, it was by accident and a friend's idea of a snack.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:27 PM on May. 10, 2011

• We don't have any nut allergies or food allergies in the family so I intrpduced peanut butter at one. Just make sure there is plenty of something to drink and its not the chuncky kind.
    CrazyMommy87

Answer by CrazyMommy87 at 12:28 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I did at 1 when I got the green light - in hind sight I should have waited since we DO have peanut allergies in our Family but he was fine and I had benadryl on hand.. if I could do it again, I would wait til 2
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:28 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My 13month old has been eating peanut butter since he was about 9 or 10 months. Pb&j is one of his faves.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 1:06 PM on May. 10, 2011

• As long as their are no known drug allergys, introducing peanut butter after age 2 is good to go. Alot of kids, mine included will always go for a nice PBand J with a cold glass of any kind of milk. To determine if the child is going ot have a problem with it, a small amount on a cracker or a piece of bread will do the trick. Introduce larger amounts if their is not a problem, be watchful though, any signs of a rash or trouble breathing, including wheezing and/or coughing could be a reaction. Be prepared to get to a medical professional quickly.
    NanaKathy123

Answer by NanaKathy123 at 1:25 PM on May. 10, 2011

• All 4 of my older kids had peanut butter at 1. My youngest is 10 months and I haven't introduced pb yet, but will soon. We have no food allergies in our families.

Answer by missanc at 1:34 PM on May. 10, 2011

• When my daughter was just under a year I came home and SO was like, she just ate like ten of these pretzels! (peanut butter filled) I was terrified!! But it's her favorite food now at 18 months!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:04 AM on May. 11, 2011

• i did it first right before one and then i went to the doctor and got the green light for a little more. and so she has been eating it for awhile. she is 2 now.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:12 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I haven't given any to the LO (18 mos) yet. I waited til age 2 with my two older kids.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:03 PM on May. 12, 2011