When are you supposed to go for your first OB visit?

I just found out I'm pregnant. What is the standard for how many weeks along you should be when you go to the doctor for the first time? I'm not sure exactly how far along I am, but it is very early. I need to calculate.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Call your OB now, they'll help you especially if you don't know how far along you are.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:30 PM on May. 10, 2011

• You should go fairly soon. With my first I went right after I missed my period and I was already 4 weeks along. I also ended up choosing an different OBGYN because I didn't like the one I saw on my first visit.
    Valen43

Answer by Valen43 at 12:31 PM on May. 10, 2011

• If you have insurance and/or the financial means, then yes, pick an OB and call. Many of the tests your doc performs (the quad screen, etc) should be done in the first trimester.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 12:33 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Mine told me to wait until i was 10-12 weeks along. I went in for my pregnancy test and they scheduled my next visit for a month later,at 10 weeks. She said there really was no reason to see her yet unless I was having complications. Also most miscarriages occur in the 1st trimester so she didn't like to get the ladies hopes up just in case.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:35 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Depends on your ob. I went in at 7-8 weeks.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 12:35 PM on May. 10, 2011

• The earlier the better I'd think. You should call and make an appointment as soon as you find out. It's isn't a dire emergency that you need to be seen right away, but it's best if prenatal care starts as early as possible. I called the day after I had a postivie HPT, saw the doctor a week later, and had my first actual pre-natal appointment about a week after that. By then I was about 7 weeks.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:38 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Unless you have an existing medical condition, they usually don't want to see you until 10 weeks. But start taking pre-natal vitamins & folic acid ASAP. GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:54 PM on May. 10, 2011

• They count your pregnancy weeks from the first day of your last period, so a couple weeks before you actually conceive. So if you started your period on 4/10, you would be about 4 weeks pregnant today. If your period is a week late, 5 weeks, etc. My doctor likes to see me around 8-10 weeks but will call in an rx for prenatal vitamins when I call to let them know I'm pregnant.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:07 PM on May. 10, 2011

• i would call them now and set it up
    momtobe522

Answer by momtobe522 at 7:05 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Sooner the better.
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 11:34 PM on May. 10, 2011