OOPPS I forgot to tell you!! ARRGGGHHH!!!

So I had this girl child that finally showd up to the game tball, and when I talked to her she just ignored me I'm the coach,so I let it go ok once I get it, however as the game goes on and I ask her to stand up and pay attention she ignores me again, then when its her turn to bat she ignores me when I tell her to run to first, so its our field turn again I put her on short stop her father was close by so I thought he could help in this I had to go help other kids when I walked back to her she then was playing almost got hit by the ball, I told her again please stand up and pay attention to the game, ok our turn to bat, I ask all the kids to get off the bench and she stays I ask her to please get down, she then gets down and as I am getting the kids seated with my parent helper she jumps on the bench again I ask her to please get down, she ignores me her father is standing there the whole time, dude do something uhm hellooooo, I take her by the hand and ask again to get down, she doesnt listen so I get her off the bench squat down to her and put my hand on her shoulders and said "sally" listen to me please I need you to stay off the bench and listen she ignores me, I raised my voice( my bad I should have not done that) finally we get all done, her mom who is a ways away gets mad and they leave, and its all my fault after I call to apologize for my voice raising she tells me oh well she had adhd and some other stuff and does that when she doesnt want to listen to you, HELLOOO!! I think I should have been informed so we smoothed it over and I asked for thier help in this I am a VOLUNTEER COACH, not a specialist ... sorry had to vent

jadeyazi

Asked by jadeyazi at 12:30 PM on May. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Thisgoes with the coaching territory... unfortunately you are going to have to get used to it. It might also be time to take a coaching certification class! They give you advise on dealing with this kind of stuff. Besides, it's t-ball... the kids are young... this doesn't surprise me a bit. I have worked in High School athletics for 12 years... we have teens that act this way! LOL

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:41 PM on May. 10, 2011

• ok i completely feel your pain as a mother of a child that has severe ADHD i make the coaches/instructor or whoever is in charge that he has this and i also stay to keep things smooth and give the other children a chance at having a good time doing their sport/activity. It is not your job to babysit this child and t-ball is NOT the best sport for a ADHD child to be enrolled in way to much to remember and focus on. We picked soccer b/c basically it was just a bunch of running and they never kept score and he absolutely loved it. You handled the situation as best as you could and maybe you should tell the parents t-ball might not be the best way to introduce her to sports. that way they can give her a chance at something else and you can get a break!! i hope that you get some relief from this situation!! good luck!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 12:45 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My child is not special needs, and is in tee ball, and pulls the same crap. She listens...for a minute...and then she is back playing in the sand or doing cartwheels in the outfield. I get after her, and certainly don't mind the coach saying something. Yes...you should definitely have been told before the game that there were issues, and they definitely should have helped if they were going to get mad at the way you handled it, but try to shake it off. There is bound to be one child who is out building sand castles and picking dandelions. It sounds like it is a safety concern as well though. Sorry. I'm sure it is no fun.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:00 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Dont get me wrong I love coaching, but geesh and besides there was no one else stepping up I did it at last minute, if I didnt then we wouldnt have a team to play, they were going to cancel cause we didnt have a coach.. I have relaxed some but it does still bother me, and yes kids will pick flowers and watch butterflies, it just pissed me off when the father watched and did nothing then the mother gets pissed and was fair away .... thanks ladies........
    jadeyazi

Comment by jadeyazi (original poster) at 2:14 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My ds plays for the PAL (peer assisted league)league for the disabled and special needs. We parents are hands on, I could not imagine not helping you with this situation, much less not informing you of my childs issues! And to be angry because you were doing the parent's job of reprimanding the child who was misbehaving, that's insane! Since it's t-ball, maybe you could make up a few picture charts of what's expected and how to behave. It really isn't safe for her to be on the field if she's that distracted!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:52 PM on May. 11, 2011

• well I talked to the league and she did some investigating and learned that not only did they forget to tell me stuff but lied about the childs age. she is only 3 not 4 which is requied to play .. but besideds that the parent that was there did nothing and so they were asked to not come and play if the child cannot listen to the coach the first time, they are letting her finish the season however they are requied to be on the field with her so they told the league that they will just keep her out, cause they dont want to be out there thats not wht they signed up for.. really wow never happy...
    jadeyazi

Comment by jadeyazi (original poster) at 12:12 AM on May. 12, 2011