Is it okay...

To contact business owner's/places to ask if they have job openings? I'm needing to go back to work after being a sahm for 7 yrs & I have no idea where to start looking?!

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 12:40 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think it's great to call. It shows motivation. Good luck to you!
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:45 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Look on career builder, snagajob, even craigslist for local openings. Nowadays most places will tell you "we are accepting applications" but that doesn't mean they have positions available
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 12:45 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I would actually go into the businesses if you can, and have copies of your resume with you. Going in allows you to gain some "face time", and if a manager is there, you can introduce yourself and submit an application immediately. Even if you can only get out for an hour, it gives you time to visit 2 or 3 businesses.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:04 PM on May. 10, 2011

• i see no reason why that wouldn't be okay. Check with the employment office in town or on the web and see if they have openings posted.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:45 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I am the manager of my business and I do not like it when I get calls. I would prefer to see a person come in, with a resume, than call and say hey are you hiring. That shows motivation and seriousness. Good luck in your job hunt.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:27 PM on May. 10, 2011

• If your city/town uses them, I would suggest contacting temp agencies. Here in San Antonio, some 3/4 of positions are filled via temps- everything from receptionists to CAD techs.

Also (depending on your area), careerbuilder.com is an excellent resource.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 12:45 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Another place to look is at your state's employment / workforce website.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 2:09 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Craigslist. Everyday. They are expecting online applications and resumes and if the want to be called about a position they will leave their phone number. I know that there aren't a ton of Craigslist postings in every location but it is a good place to start. I found a job in less than 3 weeks when I was laid off from my last position. But I was filling out and writing cover letters for a solid 10 hours every day.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:33 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Stay at home moms have lots of skills that employers value! Skills such as time management, logistics, finance, management, etc. Additionally, you probably have done some great volunteer work and may have had part time or even consulting positions while you were home.
    Start with a great resume; update (or create) a Linkedin profile; let everyone you know that you are looking for a new position. How are your skills? You may want to take a couple of classes at a community college, like Microsoft office (at least Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and a basic bookkeeping class.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:15 PM on May. 11, 2011

• sure that's fine. the other suggestions are great too. I have my own business, if you are interested in a home business...message me
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 1:25 PM on May. 10, 2011