Siberian cats?

Just wondering if anyone has a Siberian cat... I've been trying to talk dh into purchasing one because my kids LOVE cats! Dh has a cat allergy, but there are Siberian lines bred specifically to shed far less of the most common allergen and thus are much less likely to cause allergies. There are even breeders in our area who will mail out fur and dander samples to test for allergic reaction before purchasing. So if anyone has one, do you or anyone in your family have allergic reactions to it? And is it friendly? (I keep reading that they are friendly cats and not too aloof, which would be fabulous!)

Freela

Asked by Freela at 12:47 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Pets

• I babysat for ppl that had one.unfortunatly the kids were too much for her nerves&she skulked around unless it was nap/bed time.The kids never showed any allergies to her,and I know the oldest has asthma&is allergic to lots of things.good luck!they're a wonderful breed.
    ms_jasmine

Answer by ms_jasmine at 12:52 PM on May. 10, 2011

• they produce less of the chemical that tends to make people have allergies. My grandmother had one. They get pretty big & are pretty cool cats. If you live in an area where it's safe for it to venture outside, i would. Outdoor/indoor cats are much more tolerable for allergy sufferers than strictly indoor cats.

My husband is pretty allergic as well. We don't have a Siberian, but we have a tabby cat that is indoor/outdoor & he seems to be handling it well. As long as we keep him out of the bedroom, he does OK. We also put blankets on furniture & washt them frequently & we also vacuum a lot. That really helps.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:03 PM on May. 10, 2011