How do you handle depression?

not chronic depression that requires medicine, but the after shock of something that affected you so deeply it caused you to feel depressed. do you sleep? eat? clean? run or walk? stuff it under the rug? a combination of it all? i am dealing with my husband's decision to be separated from me and the kids. it's only been two days but it's getting harder each day. despite all the harsh words we said and him not acting serious about changing himself, i actually miss him. i've been crying at the drop of a hat (im crying as i type this lol) and even in front of my kids. i can't control my emotions right now. then i start to feel like i should clean something but it's like i forgot my usual routine. i don't know where to start. it seems like a much bigger job than it used to be, like i can't handle it myself anymore. ive gone to the pool and park with my kids and that only temporarily stifles the emotions. it hits me like a mack truck when we get back to the house and his car isn't in the garage. i try to sleep it away but i can't sleep either. my friends are busy with work and live more than 30 minutes away, i can't afford the gas to go see them. my parents work during the day. i dont know how to handle this emotional rollercoaster, atleast for my kids' sakes.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:47 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• I am clinically depressed and I don't take meds. I see a therapist 2-3 times a month and talk it out. It's not one thing in particular, it's a host of things that I just don't know how to deal with on my own. So therapy is the choice I made.
    I went through a separation and divorce a few years ago and I looked at it as a new freedom. I could do what I wanted, when I wanted, and didn't have to answer to anyone. If I wanted to take our kids anywhere, there was no more trying to get him to come along and feel like I was forcing him to be involved.. So my divorce was much needed in many ways. Try to look at the positive. I know it's hard, but you need to be strong for your kids, they need you to be. Start living, and stop letting him control your happiness. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:58 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Hugs ! Sorry you are going through this.. Acceptance and changing your thinking mixed with humor will help. You need to get a grip for the sake of the kids, they get their cues from you. It is time to become an actress. You need to act as if everything is OK and eventually this will pass- one way or another. Although you are tearing up inside, it won't change anything to feed the fears and pains of it all. Stay logical and try to find anything good you can, keep telling yourself "right now I am OK". Take each moment and focus on gratitude, it could be worse. Watch your thoughts and change them if they become fearful, angry or negative. Go to utube or any site that has funny things and allow yourself laughter it will help to break the stronghold of pain that you are carrying. Do not waste time trying to fight what you can't change, just stay tough and logical. No future and past tripping.. GL
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 12:58 PM on May. 10, 2011

• It's just been two days, hardly enough time for it to even sink in. It's okay if all you can do is cry you are in shock and its completely understandable. Force yourself to get up each day and take care of your kids. Eventually you will be able to stop crying so easily and start planning and preparing for the future. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this..there really are no words right now that will help.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:07 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Stop trying to take on the future. That overwhelms us all. In the times when my whole existence has been shattered, I have to remember to take it 'one day at a time'. Don't try to get through it. Just try to get through today. Worry about tomorrow tomorrow. Sometimes it gets so bad you just have to focus on getting through the hour or even the minute. Faith helps and surround yourself with people that love you.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 5:47 PM on May. 10, 2011