When people complain about troops being overseas and keep insisting "bring them home" Part 2

CM closed the first one, which is a shame.  Feel free to check out the last 2 answers by Duster, which I was going to give BA before they closed it.

So if people are capable of sticking to the topic, why do some feel a decreased troop force in Afghanistan is a good idea, especially right now with OBL retaliation eminent, but also in general, when Afghanistan is still unstable (like say, Vietnam was) and isn't under control of an organized provisional government (like say, Iraq or Germany)?  How does removing manpower and equipment from an unstable region NOT endanger the safety and lives of the troops left behind (like the approx 50k in Iraq with reduced equipment and resources today while AQ plans their revenge)?

(edited to fix link)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:51 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• that is a heck no. all the retaliation that is sure to occur will be really bad now that obl is dead. we need to keep our men and women there till it calms down or the Afghanistan army and gov are ready to take over. its going to be bad. we need to support our men and women and wait and stay on point
    Fushithedruid

Answer by Fushithedruid at 12:55 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I really don't know how people think pulling the troops out right now is a good thing. Even before my DH joined the military, I had a relatively good grasp on how things worked. I'm a little baffled that so many refuse to listen to reason, and ignore the logical reasons why decreasing the troops is a dangerous thing to do.

My only guess is: They can see why it's not smart, but choose to ignore the fact because it doesn't mesh with what they want.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:05 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I don't see bringing half home or any home as a good thing. Saving a few lives while almost surely losing most of the troops left there is only more loss of life. They need the back up and the strength, that's why we call our military, troops, they belong together as protection not only for us but for the protection of each other. Decreased numbers equals increased death.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:05 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I agree with General patraeus, I think he has a handle on what's goin on there.

I do not believe we are affecting change in Afghanistan, look at the number of years we have been there..and the little progress thats been made..there never was a clear goal from the start. There needs to be special ops to infiltrate and take out terror organizations....not a full ground war that is costing us LIVES and $$ and there is STILL no end in sight

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:10 PM on May. 10, 2011

• That's great, Sweet, but that still doesn't change the fact that in order to bring troops home, we'd be leaving the remaining troops in danger. Until Afghanistan is stable, we can't pull troops out without endangering the troops left behind. Period.

That okay with you?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:12 PM on May. 10, 2011

•  

That's great, Sweet, but that still doesn't change the fact that in order to bring troops home, we'd be leaving the remaining troops in danger. Until Afghanistan is stable, we can't pull troops out without endangering the troops left behind. Period.

That okay with you?

Has nothing to do with being OK with me. They have been doing it in Iraq and need to start in Afghanistan. General patreaus said the same thing...thre are still misions to be completed for sure..but a full on ground war? with no plan or end ga,e in sight? How would you feel if in 10 years we are still having this conversation?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:15 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Has nothing to do with being OK with me. They have been doing it in Iraq and need to start in Afghanistan. General patreaus said the same thing...thre are still missions to be completed for sure..but a full on ground war? with no plan or end ga,e in sight? How would you feel if in 10 years we are still having this conversation?

I agree. The highlighted portion is a big question to ponder. The General's POV is interesting- Doesn't he have some legitimate experience and knowledge in this arena?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:23 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Things have gotten worse in Afghanistan just since my husband has been home. The Kabul airport facilites are no longer secure and that was one of the safest places in the country because it is home to MULTIPLE bases. It wasn't just the attack on the NATO officers either. Just a couple of days ago a rogue faction of the Afghan police made an attempt to blow up the air traffic control tower because they would not open the doors..the police were wanting to arrest an American officer attached to NATO. His crime..he said no more bribes were going to be paid by Afghan controllers to the Afghan police...just so they could get into the airport to work.

NP, I read a good portion of the other question..I hate how cm reorganizes closed questions. You had a very good question and the direction it took was shameful. I suppose she got a lot of points though.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:24 PM on May. 10, 2011

• NP, I read a good portion of the other question..I hate how cm reorganizes closed questions. You had a very good question and the direction it took was shameful. I suppose she got a lot of points though.

^shameful^

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:28 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I hate how cm reorganizes closed questions.

There are little tabs at the top of the answers, and you can click "oldest" to have them arranged as they were originally.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:29 PM on May. 10, 2011