I can't get him to eat!!!

My ds has always had a healthy appetite. He's 2 and half now and for the past week or so he refuses to eat. I thought maybe he was bored with the food he eats so I bought some fun, tasty new foods and he asks for his normal food. He'll take a bite or 2 then say all done and push the plate away or ask to go night night instead of eat. I don't know what's going on. It's a rule in our house that if you don't eat your food (and I don't expect him to eat everything on his plate or anything..) you don't get anything until the next meal.. and still the next meal comes around and same thing. Everyone I talk to says to keep doing what I am doing, that he won't let himself starve but it's really starting to grate on me and I'm getting really mad. I don't know what to do anymore.
Anyone have some tips or advice for me? I am so lost!

alinker

Asked by alinker at 12:57 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is just the age. Things will pick up again. Make sure you offer healthy snacks and 100% fruit juice.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:59 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Do I still offer him a snack if he doesn't eat?
    alinker

Comment by alinker (original poster) at 1:01 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Let it go. Before 2 they have a lot of growth after two things begin to slow down. Reduce the size of his portions and continue what you are doing. You getting mad and letting him no it isn't going to change anything, but your stress level. Relax and learn he is in charge of himself, and letting him eat when he is hunger and not eat when he is not will help him develop a sense of his own hunger and make it less likely for him to over eat.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:01 PM on May. 10, 2011

• make noises for him sell him the food like lets do air plane or a car
    tressaw30

Answer by tressaw30 at 1:03 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I would set a schedule of meals and snack. So at snack time he gets a healthy snack, no junk since he isn't eating meals. And cut out the juice and do more water and at least 18-20 oc of milk. This way you know he isn't filling up on crap and will more likely be hungry at the next feeding time.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:05 PM on May. 10, 2011

• As long as it is fruit or something equally healthy sure offer snacks. The important thing is that he gets his vitamins.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 1:06 PM on May. 10, 2011

• The little ones not eating at this age is completely normal. My oldest boy didn't eat very much for 2 years when he wa 2. The only thing I can tell you to go by is when he or she goes to the doctor, they follow a chart for growth and weight. As long as they are growing and gaining weight, I would definetly not worry about it. Take this up with a peditrician. Foods with funny textures are unappealing at this age. Mix up his meals and serve the ones that he eats most of. Good luck, don't worry, it gets better.
    NanaKathy123

Answer by NanaKathy123 at 1:12 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My ds, the same age, seems to never want to eat. Forget breakfast, lunch, he may nibble at whatever I fix, and he usually eats most of dinner. However, some days he won't eat dinner, either. He does love his chocolate soy milk!!! He would rather have that over a meal anyday, he can drink an entire carton in 24 hrs! He is not a picky eater when he eats, he loves fruits and veg. He will not eat sweets. I don't make a big deal out of it because he gets worse. I know that it will pass, just have to be patient. Keep doing what you are doing and it will get better!!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 1:14 PM on May. 10, 2011

• just keep doing what you are doing. try not to be upset. i know it's hard. my 8 year ds has been giving me a hard time...not liking anything!! it is really frusterating. how about getting pediasure drink so he gets vitamins.
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 1:19 PM on May. 10, 2011

• The nutritionist recommended Carnation Instant Breakfast... He hate the Vanilla but seems to like chocolate ok.. It just drives me nuts because his 2T pants are falling off of him but are floods on him. I'm thankful e live in the desert so we can put him in shorts most of the year.. but that's about to change because my husband is changing duty stations
    alinker

Comment by alinker (original poster) at 12:46 PM on May. 11, 2011