is a three year old to young to be in delivery room

im having my second child but with my first child i had my husband there in the delivery room to support me but with this one he wont be able tobe there the only person who can support me is my mother but if she in the room with me i wont have a babysitter for my daughter i really dont want to do labor by myself but unless my daughter is there my mother cant suppport me. should i allow my three old daughter in the delivery room so i wont be alone or is she too young?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i think its 2 young. you might scare him
    Anonymous

• id say she might be alittle young not so much for the labor part but when you start pushing its might not be something she should see yet shes only 3 she probably doesnt know how babys get here and unless you wana tell her this early then id maybe try to find a friend who can take her.
    Anonymous

• my son was almost 3 when i had my daughter i didnt want him in the room with me so he stayed with his grandmother but alot of woman let their kids be in there its up to you
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Do you mean can the three year old hang out while you're in labor? Or are you meaning that the toddler scrub in for the birth?

And seriously - you are going to need a lot more help than just your mom when you have two kids. I hope you are able to find a good group of friends to help out in situations like this!

And sure, I think the 3 year old can hang out while you're in labor - bored stiff but can watch TV, whatever. As for when the big show starts - get the kid outta there!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:07 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Too young. She shouldn't see Mom in such pain, and she wouldn't understand, even with explanations, about seeing the baby come out. So: No to labor- too traumatic to see Mom hurting so much, and No to delivery.

Answer by Bmat at 1:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• i figured she was to young i guess im being a baby for not wanting to be alone
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I agree with everyone else. 3 is really too young. She will be very worried about you being in pain and you'll be focusing on not scaring her and not working through your contractions.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I don't think 3 is too young. We plan on having my 3 yr old there, however I don't plan on having him watch the baby come out, he can either go for a walk with daddy or sit at the other end. To each their own :)
    MooreTrio

Answer by MooreTrio at 5:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Some hospitals won't let kids be in the delivery room my sister is due in january and has a 4 year old and a 2 1/2 year old and the hospital said they can't be in the room
    teresalangston

Answer by teresalangston at 6:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Some hospitals have a "class" to prepare siblings to be in the room and to be a big sibling. Call the hospital and see if there are any classes or if they have a set age that a child has ot be to be in the room.
    Anonymous