SC Taking Light Bulb Ban into Its Own Hands

I'm thinking SC will be a great place to retire.
Do you think more states should be taking "matters" into their own hands like some have?

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 1:08 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Good for them. The federal government is not working for the people anymore so I think all the states should be taking matters into their own hands. If we have to do it individually than so be it.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:11 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Well we typically don't make the news for a good reason. This sounds great to me. I agree with the article. I like the softer light of the traditional light bulbs.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 1:14 PM on May. 10, 2011

• If the government knew what they were doing, they would be pusing LED light bulbs. They cost me 6 cents to run everyday all day. And last for 10 years at a cost of 6 bucks each. I'll pass on SC, their schools suck.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:40 PM on May. 10, 2011

• While DH and do everything in our power to live sustainably, I still use traditional light bulbs. Not in my home (although I prefer them), but in my barn. I raise baby chicks. While you can start those babies with a heat lamp, once they are a little older, you need a lighter bulb that still throws enough heat for a week or two depending on what time of the year it is. Also, when it's colder, an old fashioned incandescent bulb is just enough to keep a shed or stall above freezing temps for any animal. Those little swirly bulbs are useless. Aside from that, I'm not sure that they are really all that environmentally sound in the long run ... more like the current fad. If I had ONLY a choice between them and an oil lamp, I'd most likely pick the oil lamp.

We're in SC ~ and retired here.

I do allow my hens to raise chicks as well ... but I also incubate and raise Araucanas (buttless wonders that lay blue eggs) for sale.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:50 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Like many of the comments to that article (and others like it), we have been stocking up on those old fashioned bulbs for a while now.

It's all well and good to protect the environment, but I am firmly of the opinion that those yuppies in cities all across the nation have NO idea where their veggies come from, let alone those eggs they occasionally eat. It's for darn sure they have no idea how to raise a baby chick (and probably wouldn't do well with a sturdy little pepper plant either!). I wish that our law makers would show a little common sense instead of pandering to people who haven't got a clue/never even look at the consequences of their causes.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:55 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Awesome... I'm a big fan of state's rights, and I'm not sold on the eco-bulbs being better for the environment with all the dangerous chemicals inside of them.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 2:25 PM on May. 10, 2011

• wow.....big deal.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:49 PM on May. 10, 2011

• wow.....big deal.

That you Joe? I see you cleaned up your language this time.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 3:44 PM on May. 10, 2011

• That's great! I think it's time more states embraced the rights they are supposed to have.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 4:07 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Araucanas (buttless wonders that lay blue eggs)

Some of mine lay pink and green as well as blue.

I have been stocking up on regular bulbs for quite some time. I must have about 200 of them.

But Hey, Look at all the jobs China will have with these bulbs, since none are being made in the US.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:30 PM on May. 10, 2011