When you filed for divorce...

did you also file a restraining order to keep your soon to be ex away from your home if you two weren't living together?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• I don't think you can get a restraining order without evidence of abuse? I didn't feel the need to file one when I left my ex, although he was controlling and verbally abusive he had never been stupid enough to hit me. I never let him in my house once I left though, I just stopped him at the door. If you don't want him there, just have the visitation drop off/pick up somewhere other than your home.

Answer by missanc at 1:25 PM on May. 10, 2011

• No just for a divorce he knew I did not want him around and Thank god I did not need to do that my marriage was never that bad
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 1:13 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Honestly it depends on the situation and the reason for the divorce. Not every divorce is because of abuse and not every one will need a restraining order on their soon to be ex.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:14 PM on May. 10, 2011

• He isn't abusive physically but I have PTSD and can't stand to have anyone yell at me, I just turn into a big ball of anxiety. He knows I don't want him here but keeps pushing with the "What, I can't even see where my kids live?" kinda stuff.. I don't want him here, if he yells and I freak out one of my neighbors WILL shoot him and ask questions later.. country life ;-)

I'm kinda in limbo about it.. he is being served in a few weeks and he will be angry (never thought I'd do it i guess). I don't want to chance him coming up here and taking the kids or getting himself shot.. sounds silly that it has come to this but I don't know.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:21 PM on May. 10, 2011

• i belive you can file a RO on your stbx, but then you will have to make some arrangements when it comes to the custody issue of the divorce. where you have to meet to drop and pick up kids if you don't want him coming to your home. make sure you ask for that in the divorce.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 2:37 PM on May. 10, 2011