Do you jump up at every request your child/children make?

Lots of times lately I will tell the kids to go on and play now, because it had gotten pretty bad. After going outside they come up 5 mins later wanting something to drink. After finishing a meal they want a snack 30 mins later. And so on and so on.
* They eat plenty at every meal and have plenty to drink, and way too much to do around here.

treynlisa

Asked by treynlisa at 1:13 PM on May. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• For food and water, Yes I do - but he's only 3-1/2
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:28 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My 3 y/o has a water bottle she keeps with her, if she needs it refilled, I do it right away.

She is VERY bossy (or tries to be) so I am pretty strict with NOT jumping at her every request. I make her stop, come to me and explain (nicely) what she wants and why. I explain to her either why I am going to do it, or why I am not going to at that time. If she wants something and I am in the middle of doing something else, I will not drop what I am doing to get whatever it is that she wants. She can wait, it is good to teach your kids to be patient!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 1:42 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Hell no. Not for anything. Not even for the baby. They are not the master s of my world and I'm not their slave at their beck and call.
    They are expected to get their own stuff as soon as they are physically able. When we had a fridge with water in the door that meant my youngest dd started getting her own cup of water at 2 1/2 as soon as she could reach. The other kids were around 3 or 4 when they could reach the sink in the bathroom with a stool to fill their cups. They get their own food for breakfast and lunch (pour their own cereal or make a sandwich starting by at least 4). They don't get snacks between meals. They lost that privilege.
    My kids are expected to be independent and are taught and encouraged to be so as soon as possible.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:45 PM on May. 10, 2011

• it depends. I jump to my sons requests alot because he has some health problems and I worry about him hardcore. My daughter has a bossy streak though so I try to make her wait for most everything
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:53 PM on May. 10, 2011

• i dont agree with justanotherien said....i mean come on you dont help get what your baby needs? you let them make their own food?? for real? I help my kids make things they dont do it on their own just yet...help them and teach them. I dont jump to every need, but i do make the food, turn the bath water on and so forth. but to just get water, they do that and if they need help then i help them.
    ashes27165

Answer by ashes27165 at 2:07 PM on May. 10, 2011

• No, I don't. I cater to them quite a bit, but they're getting older and are more able to do things for themselves, so they do.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 2:58 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I don't think I cater to dd. Recently, she has started asking for a snack right after dinner, or only eating a few bites and saying she's full then asking for a snack. So I don't cater to that one...but as far as getting drinks when she needs them and helping her with things she has trouble with, yes I help. I'm like you, and tell my dd to play for a little bit before she gets a snack after breakfast or lunch. She's 3 btw.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 7:33 PM on May. 10, 2011

• no because they will not learn when they get older you are not their maid.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 11:42 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Unfortunately 75% of the time but it needs to stop
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 8:31 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I get what the baby needs, I just don't jump up the second he makes a noise. I refuse to drop everything to cater to him. He's almost 10 months and can wait a minute while I finish doing what I'm doing before I make him a bottle. He's taken care of just fine. And my other 4 kids are perfectly capable of doing all those things on their own. They are 10, 9, 8 and 5. If they couldn't pour a bowl of cereal or make a sandwich I'd consider myself a failure as a mother. They also know how to use a microwave (since they were 4), a toaster, draw their own baths, brush their own teeth and hair. The older 3 can do their own laundry start to finish and are learning to cook on a stove. They don't need me to do any of those things for them if they can do them for themselves. My goal as a parent is for my kids to need me for nothing...then I'll know I did a good job raising them to be independent, productive adults.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:23 PM on May. 11, 2011