How are you handling things during this recession?

The financial crunch has hit our nation.. yet we can't say we were blindsided, because the warning signs were up for years. And my question is NOT about politics. I am independent, in that I vote the person, not the party - and I am not here to sling mud.

Assuming that we all know how to manage our funds well, even if we don't always, what new things are you doing to work around this difficult time?

For example: I go shopping every two weeks. This saves me on gasoline, plus greatly reduces impulse buying (I am talking about the grocery store only in this comment).

I am car pooling, when possible.
I go to cheapie movies... I am willing to wait.
I stay out of stores which might temp me to buy what I don't need right now.
I have cut up my credit cards, and only use my bank debit.

these are just a few things I have done - what about you?

Rowesbud

Asked by Rowesbud at 1:15 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• combine errards to try to save gas. no credit cards, shop in cheapest grocery store
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 1:22 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Nothing has affected me.

Answer by older at 1:24 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I try to do all my running around in one trip. I have not had credit cards for a couple of years. I cut coupons, and shop at cheaper stores and watch sales at all the local stores. I keep track of where every penny I spend goes. I used to go out of town shopping once a week(Where I live there is no good shopping) but now it is much less often.
    But, we have cut back not only because of the recession, but because we have lots more expenses than a couple of years ago. Our daughter goes to private school, so we are willing to cut vacations, and home improvements, etc to afford her education.
    I thought less spending would be so hard for me, since I used to be a huge shopper. But, actually it has been a lot easier. I have learned what is important, and a new purse every week just isn't anymore.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 1:31 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Just have Plans A,B,C,D ...... Lot's of plans no matter what and still standing. Head hurts from planning and implementing, if this then do that.

sweet11-12

Answer by sweet11-12 at 1:41 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I don't go "shopping" anymore when I don't have something specific to buy. I make lists and really work to stick to them.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 2:05 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I want to respond to "Older" comment. We sent our kids to private school, and did home school. They both have excellent careers and families. When I think of the sacrifice, it wasn't a sacrifice at at. We did more things as a family when we had no money. We coupon clipped together, then scoured the stores.. it wasn't worth running across town to save $1.00 for example. We played games, puzzles and watched tv together. We saved pennies for an ice cream out. We didn't go "buying", we went "shopping" to get the best bang for the buck. And their families follow that to this day. When I count the blessings around me, I have to totally agree with you "Older", what I have already is so much better than a new purse every week. Thanks for the input.
    Rowesbud

Comment by Rowesbud (original poster) at 11:35 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Oops... that was actually for AngieBry! Sorry! :D
    Rowesbud

Comment by Rowesbud (original poster) at 11:36 PM on May. 10, 2011