Potty training

My daughter is almost a yr old. We have started potty training. We got her a little potty seat & have been letting her play with it & encouraging her to go potty on it. We put her on it when she wakes up, after she eats, drinks, before bed & throughout the day. Aside from the obvious, does anyone have any tip, ideas for fast successful potty training?

kayleesmom42328

Asked by kayleesmom42328 at 1:16 PM on May. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• One is pretty young, but don't let that discourage you.

I would say, if she doesn't want to do it, don't force it on her, it might cause more harm than good. The biggest tip I have is to ditch diapers and pull ups except at nap and bed time. Have her wear panties all the time, that is the only way she'll know when she is wet. Positive reinforcement is always good. Don't punish her for accidents, she is still very young. And just take her to the potty regularly (maybe every 30 minutes or so) and have her sit up there even if she doesn't go (you'll have less accidents that way)!

Good luck!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 1:30 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I have told dh that she is still a bit young, but it goes back to "when I was growing up I never saw a kid still in diapers at almost 2. I'll have her potty trained in no time". He says that cause my nephew who is almost 2 is still in diapers but is being potty trained. I've told him at her age she doesn't understand yet what is going on. I don't want to kill his excitement. We usually let her just play with it & sit on it when we go to bathroom or when she is playing.
    kayleesmom42328

Comment by kayleesmom42328 (original poster) at 1:39 PM on May. 10, 2011

• It is possible (and my dad kept telling me the same thing as your husband!) LOL it is just more difficult being that young. We started DD at 14 months, and by 18 months she was in panties all the time (still had accidents pretty regularly though). By two she was totally day time potty trained. It is possible, like I said just a little more difficult.

I did think of another thing though. You said she plays while she is on the potty, you should put aside some toys that are only for potty time in a basket on the counter (or something). She gets cool toys to play with when she is a "big girl" and uses the potty!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 2:09 PM on May. 10, 2011

• 14-16 months is about the time alot of people have told me they started with their kids. I know its going to be hard since she is so little still. I hadn't thought of putting toys aside just for when she goes potty. I'll have to try that. Thanks
    kayleesmom42328

Comment by kayleesmom42328 (original poster) at 2:14 PM on May. 10, 2011