When do you stop having your toddler take naps?

Jayseeka

Asked by Jayseeka at 1:21 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When it becomes impossible to get him TO nap
    My son started fighting it and wouldn't lay down - i tried the whole "quiet time" In his room with books or a movie or just to lay there but it just became far too hard on both of us - he stopped napping early :(
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:22 PM on May. 10, 2011

• They outgrow them on their own.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 1:22 PM on May. 10, 2011

• There cam a time, with both my kids, when a nap during the day meant they couldn't fall asleep until 10 or 11 PM. That was my indication that it was interfering with nighttime sleep. So, we don't do naps over here unless the kids are sick or especially tired.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:24 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My Son is 4 & still naps. He needs to re-charge his battery during the day or he gets irritable by 5pm.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:25 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My three year old still naps almost daily, and days when she doesn't nap, she does still hve quiet time. She's a grump-butt if she doesn't. I agree, kids will outgrow them.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 1:25 PM on May. 10, 2011

• both my kids outgrew them. My first was 18 months it is when we moved here, but I think it was more because the old place where her room was located the window was off the porch, but dh's tool box was in front of the window so her bedroom was always really dark with the door shut so I think when we moved her she couldn't sleep anymore because of the light. My youngest is 3 and gave up her naps right after turning 3. I still have her go for quiet time sometimes, but she is always every 5-10 minutes is it time to get up yet lol. I think she still kinda needs a nap cause she does get grumpy, but the only thing is if she does take a nap she wont go to bed at night. She can take a 5 minute nap in the car then by bedtime still wont go to bed because she had that 5 minute nap, but yet she gets so grumpy at times that you can tell she is tired, but I don't want to give her a nap because I know she will be up all night.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:37 PM on May. 10, 2011

• You don't do it. They stop when they no longer fall asleep. You will know, your child will stop on his own. My oldest was 4 1/2. My younger 2 were 2.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:47 PM on May. 10, 2011

• It depends. most kids just quit napping on their own. Other kids start having a hard time getting to sleep at night so you have to stop putting them down for a nap. My oldest was still napping at 5. The summer before he began all day kinder we had to make him stop napping. It was a rough transition for him. My youngest refused to nap and it became a huge fight at 15 months. As with most thing it is very individual.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:04 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Both my older two gave them up on their own around age 3. The youngest is 18 months and still loves his daily nap.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:59 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Thanks for all your input! It has helped greatly!
    Jayseeka

Comment by Jayseeka (original poster) at 12:26 PM on May. 13, 2011