Am I being too strict?

DS age 3 loves lollipops. And I mean LOVES them. He would usually get one a day for snack. It's the sugar free dum dums. The last three days he has put them in his hair! Do I took them away and told him he doesn't get anymore until he is old enough to keep them in his mouth where the belong. DH says I'm being to harsh. But I'm sick of having to pry sticky balls of hard candy out of my son's longish hair.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on May. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• No, you did the right thing.

Answer by older at 1:31 PM on May. 10, 2011

• That's not too strict!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:31 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Not to harsh at all. At three he really shouldn't have them anyway, especially not one a day. I would say keep them around as a special treat (maybe once a week) and give them to him only when he sits with you and you can watch to make sure he doesn't get them in his hair.

Good luck!!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 1:31 PM on May. 10, 2011

• not to harsh
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 1:31 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Mine only gets them if he rides in the buggy at the grocery store. He would have them stuck to everything in the house if he had them more!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 1:33 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Nope, not too harsh. That's how things work in our house...if you can't use something properly you don't get to use it.
    Heck, my kids lost ALL snacks and treats because they kept eating them without permission. They ate 2 weeks worth of snacks for 4 kids in just 4 days. Now they get no snacks, just 3 meals a day.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:41 PM on May. 10, 2011

• i think your being fair. my son does that also.
    ashes27165

Answer by ashes27165 at 1:56 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Let your DH try to get one out of his hair, then he will agree with you :)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 2:28 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I don't think you are being too strict at all. I wouldn't say I was taking them away until he is older because that is too vague for a 3 year old to understand, but I would absolutely take away the sucker you just unstuck from his hair and then tell him no sucker tomorrow becuse you put it in your hair. Then maybe remind him the next day at his normal sucker time that he doesn't get his sucker today because he put it in his hair last time, and maybe then you let him try again tomorrow or whatever. That might kind of be rubbing it in but you want him to feel the pain of his punishment enough to not want to do it again.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:30 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I don't think so.
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 2:33 PM on May. 10, 2011